Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok does anyone else wander into the Pepboys or Autozone and wonder why Mothers, Meg`s, Blue Magic etc. won`t just sell you a bar of clay without having to buy the quick detailer!? $20 and like I need another bottle of detailing stuff for the overflowing bin?? Not to mention its more expensive then just getting a $6 bar of clay!

... just makes it more likely for me to order clay from Sonus on my next web order(Which is what I typically do).

Give the people what they want. Which is another issue, most people I know with nice cars have no idea what clay is. Seems like these guys at Mothers, Meguiar`s, etc. are missing a big oppourtunity to educate the public and make some money.

I recently read an interview with a detailing pro that claimed that Carnauba waxes were on the decline because of the paints being used today that only require a quick claying to restore Carnaub-like shine.

These are all of my words of wisdom.
    BoxsterS:GT3 Recaro Pole Position Seats, GT3 Front bumper, 20 lb. 18"Carrera 5 spokes,Toyo RA-1, Valentine 1!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789415

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, it`s very frustrating. I have so much of that clay magic clay lube.... I have enough to clay my car 20 times. You can order just clay (2 bars) from Zaino, but there again you have to pay shipping. And the Mothers OTC goes so far as to make you pay for some of their wax with it, too. Geez.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by racingbeat
    detailing pro -- "Carnauba waxes were on the decline because of the paints being used today that only require a quick claying to restore Carnaub-like shine."
    hahahaha WOW you`ve got to be kidding, right? He claims to be a professional?

I do wish they sold it without the QD... oh well.

Post Thanks / Like
    The best deal I have found is Claymagic for $10 at AutoZone. It comes with the lube so I just stockpile it. I generally like Mothers but their clay package is way too expensive.

Even goofier is the fact that the Claymagic 200 gram bars retail for significantly more than the 100 gram bar plus lube. No bulk discounts have I been able to find...and why no 400 gram bars?

Post Thanks / Like
    :think2 good I thought I was nuts. Glad to hear I`m not the only one with ten bottle of quick detailing spray lying around. Maybe we can make our own and sell it in neat little air tight bins?
    BoxsterS:GT3 Recaro Pole Position Seats, GT3 Front bumper, 20 lb. 18"Carrera 5 spokes,Toyo RA-1, Valentine 1!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mothers and Megs (non pro line) are both geared toward the car enthusiast and not the detailers like us. So they have the kits for those who dont know much about how to clay. I bet its also for liability too.
    1970 Camaro RS
    2013 Optima SX
    2005 Escalade Platinum
    2000 Integra GSR

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet its also for liability too.

Possibly so...but $17 per kit? Highway robbery...

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. It would be nice to be able to pick up a bar of clay locally without having to buy a bottle of QD, cleaner wax, or an MF towel. I just order my clay on-line now and get it in larger quantities. I have enough QD to last me the rest of my life.

Post Thanks / Like
    From where?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    I agree. It would be nice to be able to pick up a bar of clay locally without having to buy a bottle of QD, cleaner wax, or an MF towel. I just order my clay on-line now and get it in larger quantities. I have enough QD to last me the rest of my life.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess I`m in the minority here but, as a Sonus clay user, I go through plenty of the Glyde lubricant. The green clay especially works better for me with Glyde than it does with shampoo mix/water/other improvised lubes.

Oh, and that quote from a "detailing pro" is a good example of how anybody can be a "professional" or an "expert" or a [whatever they want to call themselves] these days The only thing that stops that from being either amusing or pathetic is the possiblity that some poor soul will believe that nonsense and base decisions on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontman43
    Mothers and Megs (non pro line) are both geared toward the car enthusiast and not the detailers like us. So they have the kits for those who dont know much about how to clay. I bet its also for liability too.

Bingo! There was a rather heated discussion at Mothers` waxforum.com about this issue, and it seemed like it boiled down to that they didn`t want to be responsable when some moron starts claying without lube. Plus, they make a lot more money this way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I generally go to napa to get my clay. They do not stock it in the front of the store but if you go around to the parts section in the back and ask for it they will have it. I believe it is something like 2 or 4 hundred grams for $25.00. It doesn`t come with lube, i just use some of my extra meg`s dc wash, i primarily use pb`s sss for washing, mix it with some water and that has worked extremely well for me. Just be careful not to satruate the clay bar or it will lose it`s ability to lift contaminents (duh right?).

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess I`m in the minority here but, as a Sonus clay user, I go through plenty of the Glyde lubricant. The green clay especially works better for me with Glyde than it does with shampoo mix/water/other improvised lubes.

I really like the Sonus Block clay a lot. I do use a bit of Glyde as well. Have to watch Autopia Car Care for a deal on this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t you guys think it`s a little more like this? Typical customer thinks his car isn`t all it could be. He goes down to the local Pep Boys et al, and starts perusing the shelves, and hey! Here`s this clay stuff! Sounds great, grabs it off the shelf and goes home. He doesn`t really know/care what`s involved with claying. If he got home and read the instructions and it said he needed a bottle of lube, and a MF, what are the chances he`d go back to the store and get them? Probably nil, he wants to do something NOW. So back to our typical customer...he opens the box and says "cool! more than just clay in here!". He uses the clay, probably most of the lube, and wipes down with the MF (talking the new Meg`s kit which has the MF), throws a little cleaner wax on and admires his work. He doesn`t care that he has anything left over or not, because the next time he does anything on his car (maybe a year later) he won`t even remember he had the stuff, the clay will have been lost, the almost-empty lube will have thrown out, and the MF will have been used by his mother/wife/kids to clean the bathroom or blow their nose. The little bottle of cleaner wax is hidden at the bottom of the tool box. Let`s face it, most of the people buying auto appearance supplies at the local chain store don`t understand or plan anything on the level we do. Leftovers will be forgotten about or tossed in the next clean up.

That being said, Autopian online suppliers are our friends. There are plenty of places, including the Autopia Car Care store, that sell clay by itself at fair unit prices.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree they add the quick detailer to save themselves the headache of getting a complaint from the bone head who will try using it without lube but really do they need to sell us a full size of it? Why not sell two sizes of the caly bar kit? $$$$$$$$$

anyhoo here`s the quote from the dude who says new paints don`t require Carnauba anymore:

"The clearcoat finish on new vehicles creates the depth and high-gloss shine that I once labored to achieve. Is Carnauba wax a relic on new car finishes?

When I purchased my Porsche Cayenne S nearly two years ago, I literally stopped using Carnauba wax. The finish on the Cayenne is wonderful, and it does not take a lot of maintenance to keep it looking great. What I really started to notice is how quickly surface contamination makes the paint finish loose its intense shine. Yet, all I have to do is wash and use detailing clay to get back the finish clarity."-
    David Bynon

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information