Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    As any Maxima drivers know (particularly 5spd), there is a real problem with wheel hop upon quick takeoffs. In case someone doesn`t know what I mean by wheel hop, it`s when the front wheels slip, and the tires gain/lose traction frequently. The front end of the car jumps up and down quickly.

So does anyone know if wheel hop negatively affects anything?
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Wheel hop probably won`t hurt the car, but it doesn`t do much for 0-60 times. Basically, the power is not getting to the ground very efficiently.

I have a 2004 Acura TSX and wheel hop is a know problem with that vehicle. Not suprisingly, the 0-60 times are low, even though the car feels quite peppy around town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think stickier tires will help, since the tires won`t slip as much? I guess my rationale is...if the tires don`t slip in the first place, they can`t hop. :nixweiss
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s not your tires its your soft motor mounts.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/july04/specv/

Detailing Rottweiler 1 Clean WS6's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wheel hop is not inherent to front wheel drive vehicles. It IS inherent to independent suspensions that receive power to their attached drive wheels (in your case it is the front suspension). My WS6 = no wheel hop because it has a solid axle. Ask any Corvette, Mustang Cobra, GTO...etc. owner about wheel hop and they can sympathize with you. Your suspension is loading and unloading as your drive wheels get power applied to them. This will typically only happen on hard launches at WOT or close to WOT. As long as you are not treating every stop light as a drag strip Christmas tree I think you`ll be OK...no broken parts. I am not all to familiar with the Maxima but I am sure a company like Stillen sells suspension parts to limit the amount of hop your are experiencing (i.e. better bushings...stronger A-arms...etc.).
    Mike
    Sweating the Details Mobile Detailing Service
    Owner/Operator

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s correct it generally happens at WOT. No I don`t treat every stoplight as a drag strip. I just like to have fun on wide open country roads once in a while.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by VictoryRed

It`s not your tires its your soft motor mounts.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/july04/specv/

This is exactly what I`ve been told as well.

On the other hand, more aggressive tires, and lighter rims, will almost always have an impact on acceleration.

Detailing Rottweiler 1 Clean WS6's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by White95Max

I just like to have fun on wide open country roads once in a while.

I can relate to that!!!

Try slipping your clutch when you launch and rolling into the throttle at the same time. The smoother you can transition to full power the less wheel hop you should experience.
    Mike
    Sweating the Details Mobile Detailing Service
    Owner/Operator

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s definately not good for stuff, can lead to broken CV joints, etc. Don`t know about the maximas, but hard starts are notorious for killing some cars (see sig).
    `86 Porsche 951 garnet red metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 1 Clean WS6

I can relate to that!!!

Try slipping your clutch when you launch and rolling into the throttle at the same time. The smoother you can transition to full power the less wheel hop you should experience.

roll into the throttle? But I like the instant full power experience of a manual transmission, and the torque pushing me back. I`m sure you can relate to that one as well!
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by The Uncle

Wheel hop probably won`t hurt the car, but it doesn`t do much for 0-60 times. Basically, the power is not getting to the ground very efficiently.
    It IS bad for your car, is an excellent way to break an axle or wear the CV boots, among other things. I`ve seen too many cars hop bad off the line and then snap an axle.

Post Thanks / Like
    I upped my tire pressure from 29-35psi a few days ago, and returned to the same spot where I had the wheelhop problem, to see if there was any improvement as far as wheelhop.

There was! I got very little hop this time, and the conditions were just the same as the time when I got bad wheelhop. The only difference was the increased tire pressure. After a couple seconds of tire squeal, the front hopped slightly, but nothing near what happened a couple times last week. :up

I tried it twice at the same spot, and I got the same results the second time as well. I`m convinced that the tire pressure really did help.

I`m hoping that my new tires/wheels will make an additional improvement, and nearly eliminate the problem.
    Paul...

I miss my 03 Cobra...... 03COBRA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 1 Clean WS6

suspension). My WS6 = no wheel hop because it has a solid axle. Ask any Corvette, Mustang Cobra, GTO...etc. owner about wheel hop and they can sympathize with you.

Former Cobra owner here, wheel hop sucks. Although the only time I got wheel hop was when I went out to the track.(Only time I really launched it ) Wheel hop in an 03/04 Cobra can be very dangerous as far as broken parts. A lot of guys with performance mods have killed a couple of axle in the Cobra. A lot of Cobra guys have a pulley on SC, intake, full catless exhaust, tuner, ported SC, TB,etc....... A lot of Cobra`s that look stock, have over 500 HP at the wheels, imagine what a stock axle goes through. Some guys have over 600 HP to the wheels and still run stock axles, but I wouldn`t. There was a joke in another member sig over at svtperformance.com, and it goes.

"What did 500 HP say to the axle.............snap"

On the other hand Mike, just because you have a solid axle doesn`t mean you won`t have wheel hop. However, it should mean that it should be greatly reduced or minimized. Case in point, my mom`s 2005 Mustang GT. She has a solid axle on it, I launched it from the line and got a little bit of wheel hop, when I grabbed 2nd, I got a couple of hops then. To me it sounds like Ford`s stone age suspension could have somthing to do with it. Wheel hop can also be caused by just giving it to much throttle to hook, but not too much to spin hard, and right there at that breaking point. I can believe that you have no wheel hop, because GM seems to have a better grasp on suspension than Ford.

Paul, wheel hop can also hurt your tires. Everytime your tires are a victim of wheel hop, they take a pounding. Not only is it not good for the tread, but the structure and belts take a punishing force. Of course it should not ruin the tires, they may become prone to noticeable uneven wear, or even cupping of the tires
    PRECISION DETAIL
    NorCal
    2003 Apex Silver Mitsubishi Evolution VIII

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by O4cobra

Paul, wheel hop can also hurt your tires. Everytime your tires are a victim of wheel hop, they take a pounding. Not only is it not good for the tread, but the structure and belts take a punishing force. Of course it should not ruin the tires, they may become prone to noticeable uneven wear, or even cupping of the tires

Even more reason to figure out how to fix or reduce the problem before putting my new wheels/tires on this spring. These tires are history once I get my new tires/wheels on anyway, since the current wheels are getting Dunlop Winter Sport M3 snow tires for winter use.

So IOW, I don`t care about uneven wear or anything on these tires. I would care about those things to my brand new tires though.
    Paul...

I miss my 03 Cobra...... 03COBRA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,

You car is going to look good with those wheels. Just looking at your avator you can tell. Nice choice! :xyxthumbs
    PRECISION DETAIL
    NorCal
    2003 Apex Silver Mitsubishi Evolution VIII

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information