Post Thanks / Like

Wet sanding new car

My new trucks paint job is the worst I`ve ever seen. There`s dust in the paint, blotches, and tons of orange peel. I didn`t realize it at first but after perfecting the finish, it stands out even more. My first paint job looked better than this. Even the metal has waves in it. It`s so bad I`m considering wetsanding pretty much the entire truck, the top and hood are somehow alright. I guess my question is, should I wet sand? On my paint jobs I put 3-5 coats of clear down, but I have no idea what`s on there from the factory. Knowing Ford, it`s the least amount possible. I never let my truck get to where I`d need to use any more than SSR1 so I`m not using any harsh abrasives on it. I plan on keeping this for a work truck for around 5 years....so, good idea to wet sand or not?

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going through wetsanding 101 right now too, the consnsus is on factory paint do not wetsand. (esp if it`s only a work truck)
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    you said it all when you said it was a Ford...I can even bet that the orange peel is different from panel to panel...saw this on the black f250 I worked on..:nono ....I would not do the wet sanding now, but as time goes by, and after the factory warranty expires, then give it a shot...it can take it
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Just polishing the paint with something like SSR 2 or 2.5, will reduce the orange peel over time.
    Factory paint is so hard that it sometimes is a bear to wet sand and then get all of the sanding marks out. I have done it but repaints are so much easier to work on ... especially within 48 hours of being painted. Like Poorboy said, wait until the warranty expires. Many times sanding or altering the paint will void the paint and rust through warranty.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t do it!

Tom:cool
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I know what you mean about Ford`s quality of paint. I bought a 2004 Ranger in January and the thing is hideous. I have two paint runs behind each rear tailight and terrible inconsistent orange peel on every body panel, of course being black it is very noticable. This is the third Ford I have had and it has not changed with everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    id wet sand with 1500 grit, then go over it with 2000 grit wet sand paper with a little dishwashing soap mixed in your bucket of water. there should be plenty of clear from the factory. if you want to, just do the 2000 grit them buff it out. the wet sand paper will remove just the high spots of the orange peel

Post Thanks / Like
    I think what I`ll do is hit the tailgate, dust spots, runs with 2000, and then go over the whole truck with #84/black pad, SSR 2.5,2,1. I had most of the factory installed waves/dents taken out today, luckly the DPR guy is cool and takes cash and did it for next to nothing. He said the tailgate was the worst factory orange peel he`s ever seen. I checked out some other Rangers on the lot today and there was one very minimal uniform orange peel over the whole truck...so the paint jobs are inconsistant. What gets me is Ford will not back this up at all, it`s sad when you can do about $3000 worth of body work on a brand new truck.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Thread Information