Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum
Go Back   Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum > Autopia Car Care Guide To Detailing > Auto Detailing 101
Auto Detailing 101 Whether you are a professional or a do-it-yourself car owner this is the place to go for the basics of automotive detailing.

» Car Care Brands

(#1) Old
soog is starting to get a good reputation around here.

Question Why do I have dimples in my paint? - 08-05-2004, 12:03 PM

I just finished detailing my entire car. My process on the outside was:

Wash
Clay
Wash
SSR2.5
PP
SSR1

It was kind of a bitter sweet project. My car looks better but now I can really see all of the dents and chips on it.

It also uncovered all these little "dimple" type shapes in the paint. It is still smooth to the touch, and you dont notice it unless you are really looking hard around the reflection of the sun for swirl marks.

Is this just what happens to paint after 10 years? Was it a bad paint job originally? Is there anything I can do?

Sorry I don't have a digital camera, so there are no pictures. I was hoping someone else might have run into this as well.

Starting up mobile business...
any advise would be appreciated:
business plans
legal issues
insurance

(#2) Old
Autopia Forums
Dwayne Can Make Rust ShineDwayne Can Make Rust ShineDwayne Can Make Rust ShineDwayne Can Make Rust ShineDwayne Can Make Rust ShineDwayne Can Make Rust ShineDwayne Can Make Rust Shine

08-05-2004, 12:09 PM

This is known as "orange peel" is common in factory clearcoat finishes.

All that washing and claying and polishing and UPP left such a clear finish that and factory defects seem to pop out like a sore thumb.You could eliminate the orange peel with wet sanding and buffing but that would remove much of the protective clearcoat and I don't recommend wetsanding a daily driver that, other than some orange peel, looks great.

Dwayne

(#3) Old
soog is starting to get a good reputation around here.

08-05-2004, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Guess I'll just have to deal with it.

I don't know how you guys do this. It's gonna take me a while to get used to trying to perfect these things (cars) which are inherently imperfect.

Starting up mobile business...
any advise would be appreciated:
business plans
legal issues
insurance

(#4) Old
Jcrawford is starting to get a good reputation around here.

08-05-2004, 01:15 PM

don't worry, when the addiction sets in then it'll come like second nature.

01 Supercharged Nissan Frontier

(#5) Old
Bob
Banned
Bob is very helpful and well-respected.

08-05-2004, 01:45 PM

The dimples are taken from a golf ball design and help your car go faster. Sort of like "speed holes".

Just kidding, orange peel is what it is.

(#6) Old
Practice makes "PERFECT"
clean4u is starting to get a good reputation around here.

08-05-2004, 03:18 PM

Yet another victim of orange peel

"A Clean Ride is a Happy Ride" To some its just a Ride!!!! So True!!!!!

(#7) Old
edschwab1 is very helpful and well-respected.

08-05-2004, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 2001civicex
The dimples are taken from a golf ball design and help your car go faster. Sort of like "speed holes".

How much extra HP does this give me?

Orange peel just happens.

Eric

Have you AIO'd today?
Done, or Done right? You decide.
Score early, Score often.
You can not win from the penalty box.
You can not score from the penalty box.

(#8) Old
Focusedonsound is a person that you can trust to wax your car!Focusedonsound is a person that you can trust to wax your car!

08-05-2004, 04:01 PM

What in the painting process causes this to happnen?

(#9) Old
2004 Civic EX magnesium
HondaMan is very helpful and well-respected.

08-05-2004, 04:39 PM

Can someone post a picture -- a closeup -- of this "orange peel" phenomenon??

(#10) Old
Rochester Auto Spa
vdubbya is very helpful and well-respected.

08-05-2004, 06:20 PM

Most often caused from to little paint/too much air while sprayed. Manufactures slack on the paint to keep production costs down. LOL

(#11) Old
jaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shine

08-05-2004, 07:43 PM

Soog,
Don't feel bad I have been noticing orange peel on alot of new cars :dunno

"J"

(#12) Old
kimwallace Can Make Rust Shinekimwallace Can Make Rust Shinekimwallace Can Make Rust Shinekimwallace Can Make Rust Shinekimwallace Can Make Rust Shine

08-05-2004, 07:45 PM

Orange peel is a product of spraying the paint.
When it is sprayed the tiny droplets of paint are not able to flow out, or level themselves completely when they hit the surface of the car. One reason is that the paint needs to set up fairly quickly so it doesn't run. In order to get a paint finish without orange peel, you need to wet sand between each coat of paint and then wet sand and buff the final coat.
Orange peel has a benefit for the car manufacturers in that it does hide many of the minor imperfections in the body panels. When your car is polished and waxed you notice more imperfections ... If the orange peel wasn't there, you would see a bunch more. The more perfect the paint ... the more perfect the body panels need to be.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

(#13) Old
jaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shinejaybs02 Can Make Rust Shine

08-05-2004, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kimwallace
Orange peel is a product of spraying the paint.
When it is sprayed the tiny droplets of paint are not able to flow out, or level themselves completely when they hit the surface of the car. One reason is that the paint needs to set up fairly quickly so it doesn't run. In order to get a paint finish without orange peel, you need to wet sand between each coat of paint and then wet sand and buff the final coat.
Orange peel has a benefit for the car manufacturers in that it does hide many of the minor imperfections in the body panels. When your car is polished and waxed you notice more imperfections ... If the orange peel wasn't there, you would see a bunch more. The more perfect the paint ... the more perfect the body panels need to be.
Another sign of the times

(#14) Old
Autopia Forums
Dwayne Can Make Rust ShineDwayne Can Make Rust ShineDwayne Can Make Rust ShineDwayne Can Make Rust ShineDwayne Can Make Rust ShineDwayne Can Make Rust ShineDwayne Can Make Rust Shine

08-05-2004, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jaybs95
Soog,
Don't feel bad I have been noticing orange peel on alot of new cars :dunno

"J"
I have heard new car salesman at the Chevrolet dealership refer to orange peel as "shine and gloss".

(#15) Old
darkcrow is starting to get a good reputation around here.

08-06-2004, 08:25 AM

shine and gloss??? omg thats funny, i just did an 04 svt cobra with the "shine and gloss" so bad that i thought it was a repaint,(orange peel and the odd fisheye) however the guy that owns the car figures the original finish will hold value-i shake my head, remember the old lead based paint?? there was a finish!

Its only gravity