Post Thanks / Like

Need some advice...

Hey guys..I`m kinda new here. I`ve never posted but I lurk the boards and stuff. I`m 21 years old and love cleaning cars. I`m currently working at a Chevy Dealer as a summer job(I`m in college) cleaning new cars and stuff..its not exactly what I like but its money. I`ve been detailing on the side for like 5 years now but I want to step it up and get quality finishes. I currently own a 10" orbital and a 6" orbital but after using a rotary at work, I can see how the orbital just doesn`t cut it. I can change the RPM`s on the rotary at work but I can`t on the ones I actually own. The rotary does such a better job for removing scrathes and for taking off wax and polish. I think I`m eventually going to invest in a rotary but I don`t know. I`ve noticed so many of you use the Portal Cable DA and love it. I dont know if that is exactly what I want or not. I would like all of your opinions on what you think I should do. I know how to correctly use both but kinda scared of burning paint(crosses fingers praying I never do that) on cars that aren`t my own. The reason for all of this is because I have a black truck and the orbital doesn`t cut it like I`ve seen what a rotary can do on a black car. DO I just need the PC DA so I can speed up the orbital motion or should I go for the rotary? HELP please

Post Thanks / Like
    Just cross your fingers and get you a nice makita or dewalt rotary.,if you think you going to do cars that are filled with deep scratches.
    PC DA work best on light scratches and again it is all about what you like. You just have to try both PC DA & Rotary, because you going to get different opinions from different people.
    Personaly i own both PC DA and rotary, if you ask me what i use the most i will say rotary, it gets the job done faster and nicer.
    Hope it helped.
    "A Auto Detailing"
    Charlotte, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    If I were you I would continue to pratice on the dealers cars with the rotary.

If I had to do it all over again I would of purchased a Cyclo polisher. Its not as aggressive as a rotary but leave the PC in the dust. You will save money to. You ge two machines for the price of one.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey RUBigdog....

If you`re going to be doing cars that involve paint correction, I would get the rotary. Normally, I would tell beginners to get the PC or Cyclo, but since you`ve already been using the rotary you should be fine. Just stick with foam pads until you build up more skill and then you can go with the wool pads.

I see that you`re in Sterling, Va....I`m about 20-30 minutes away in Rockville, Md.

Good Luck...
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like
    Your a brave sole admiting to being a dealership employed detailer, Most guys here won`t let the dealerships touch their cars in fear of the results (most dealership employed detailers are far from educated on proper detailing)! This is not to say that you aren`t a well trained! But to point out most of the guys here fear dealership details!

With that said my take on the differences between Pc vs Rotary....

A PC will do most of the light work IE. removing oxidation, and will do a great job at removing light scratches and swirl marks! You possibly will also be able to remove light water etching as well but I wouldn`t say it could do much more! With a very easy learning curve!

A Rotary...Well it can do all of the above + more however from what I understand swirl removal can be difficult. However the learning curve is a lot more expanded espessially with the possiblity that you could potentially do severe damage to the paint by burning through or other non correctable damage.

My recomendation. If you have used a rotary and are comfortable using one ..then heck go for it! however If you can pick up a PC as well they are great for the lighter work!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a PC and a Rotary. I never had much luck doing paint correction with the PC, although it is great for finish polishes, glazes and sealant application. If you are already experienced with the rotary, go with that. You can do so much more with it!
    I love the smell of EX-P in the morning.

Thread Information