Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

rotary or big throw dual action

what is your prefered tool?
    do these big throw DA`s really cut as good and fast as a rotary?
    i see those pro`s work with DA machines more and more.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: rotary or big throw dual action

Nothing can work as good and fast as Rotary Power in the hands of an experienced, seasoned, user.

The other machines work very well but will take longer to accomplish the task.

You need pad rotation to make any of the products sold for correction, polishing, etc., work to their highest potential..

There will always be a debate on which machine works best, leaves the best finish, free of swirls...

Rotary Power all the way for me..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a rotary guy myself. I do like to keep my GG6 close too though. It comes down to the task at hand for me, but if it requires heavy compounding especially, rotary all the way. To be fair, I`ve never touched a Rupes in my life. You never know..I may get a 21 someday and never want to use anything else. There is definetely something to be said for Rupes. If they weren`t arguably the best machines on the market right now, you wouldn`t see these guys who are known only for top notch work using them religiously.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing is going to beat the rotary for corrective efficiency. I currently do most of my heavier correcting with the Flex 3401. It is not as efficient as a true rotary but by incorporating forced rotation it can become pretty dang close with the correct wool pad.

I have never used a Rupes but they have such a good reputation they must be good machines. It is my opinion, ( just my opinion),- however that I think that the Flex with its forced rotation would give greater correction capabilities than the Rupes. I have never used the Rupes so I can`t state that as fact, just opinion. Maybe someone on this forum has both machines and could shed some light on the topic.

Post Thanks / Like

Ill be following this because This may help shed some light on weather or not I want a Rupes or a Flex

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll put my Makita 9227c up against any machine...I have 3 DA`s including the Rupes 21
    ..but every machine has its place in the world of detailing. ...but I love my Makita !!

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the flex is a better machine then the rupes. But thats my opinion.
    I hear more and more that experienced rotary users are a bit disappointed with the rupes machines as they take longer to cut and don`t finish as good as the rotary.
    I myself like my rotary and my normal dual action polisher. Maybe a flex will be added. But I tried a rupes 21 and 15 and the noise and vibrations really put me off

Post Thanks / Like

Very good points, 2shiny -

The vibrations alone on any of the other machines could be a detriment to the user over a period of time..

Certainly, the microfiber pads have been a game changer for the other machines, along with special compounds designed to work as well..

And they even got the adhesives right so that with all that extra movement which creates a lot more heat than a Rotary, these things seem to work pretty well..

I dont have any Rupes either; bought a Flex 3401-VRG Years ago when they first came out..

Tried it, it was ok. Had counter-clockwise rotation..
    Really tried to make it work, even cut down the only backing plate ( 6" ) when it first came out, to accept the smaller 5/1/4" pads, and they eventually started making smaller backing plates..

It helped a lot in controlling the machine when you put a lot of pressure on it, but still, it was not nearly as fast as my Makita...

So it has sat in my Machine cabinet shelf for years and only comes out occasionally to do something like spread a sealant, etc.,..

My good friend, Lee, the most awesome Boat Detailer in the Seattle area, laughed out loud when some people sent him a D/A to try out on Boats...

He routinely kills Rotaries because of the extreme pressure and speed he runs them to make bad gelcoat look brand new again.. His skill with a Rotary is as good as anyone else who has taken the time to learn the machine, the compounds, and how to always turn out perfectly clear, deep, swirl-free paintwork..

He will Never have a random orbital in his lifetime...

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll trade you my PC for your flex... spreads waxes and sealants like a champ. Plus smaller and probably lighter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    I`ll trade you my PC for your flex... spreads waxes and sealants like a champ. Plus smaller and probably lighter
    I would not be to quick to trade away the PC if it is the only one you have. I own the Flex and several PC`s. I still would not want to get rid of my PC`s. They have their place when I prefer them over the Flex.

The PC is a little easier to handle and doesn`t wear you out as much when using it for extended periods. I can also handle my PC with one hand in certain situations - no way I could do this with the flex. The PC excels in spreading product and for finishing polishes. The Flex is my workhorse for major correction. I really wouldn`t want to be without either one.

Post Thanks / Like

I know... but buying a new PC to replace one i traded away is a lot cheaper than buying a new flex

kind of a joke btw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    I know... but buying a new PC to replace one i traded away is a lot cheaper than buying a new flex

kind of a joke btw
    I gotcha. I realize that you were more or less joking. BTW, I wouldn`t hesitate one bit to buy a used Flex if you can find one for sale. These things are built like a tank and have a reputation for running forever. Never had any problems with mine.

Post Thanks / Like

The little Meguiars G110V I believe is also a great little PC that is perfect with a smaller pad/backing plate for cleaning waterspotted glass, moon roofs, side windows, etc...

Sometimes it is the only thing I have that is small enough to get into a tight spot for a headlight, fog light, etc...

Have to have one of those if you are Detailing for dollars..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Oh for sure. I`ve actually found it most useful with brush attachments for interior work. I`ll never not have a PC or similar machine. Stiff brush along with some upholstery foam and you can clean interior upholstery in no time!

Post Thanks / Like

Up until this year I used a D/A for all phases of correction work. I bought a Harbor Freight rotary a few years back and hated it and decided to never pick it up again. It wasn`t until I got my hands on a DeWalt that I saw that I could be on to something with enough time behind them. I bought myself a Makita and absolutely love it. With the right pads, polishes, and end user good sense I feel that nothing can beat the cut and finish (and the reliability of these abilities) of a rotary. The forced and big throw d/a`s in concept would not seem to be up to snuff with a rotary. If you`re serious about cranking out great corrections, learn to properly use a rotary. D/A`s will still be good on light to moderate work and applying waxes, sealants, and AIOs.
    The Gloss Boss, LLC
    Kris Metje, Owner
    http://theglossbosscape.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information