Post Thanks / Like

meguairs vs wolfgang and wheel care

I am a first time user of a 6"GG that i just purchased. I am looking for some advice on light compounds and polishes that I can use with this DA. I would like to know some opinions on using the products on 4 everyday drivers. I am not in the detail business but am a weekend warrior that enjoys keeping cars clean and in good condition. I am considering M105/M205 combo vs the Wolfgang TSR 3.0/finishing glaze 3.0. After researching seams like I might be better in using Meguiars Ultimate Compound instead of M105 being a 1st time user. That is no problem as I can pick that up anywhere at anytime. There is no bundle with that product so I would have to add it separate which is not a problem if that would be a better option for novice.

As far as waxes I got the recommendation of Pinnacle Souverän for dark colors and Wolfgang Füzion for light colors. Not sure I am needing $100 waxes at this point. Any other suggestions for waxes for everyday drivers?

Last question is regarding wheels. I have a 96 chevy pickup with what looks like stained spots on the wheels that will not come off with wash or polish. I assume it is damage from brake dust and other items. Besides washing the wheel what products are available for the wheels that I can apply after they as cleaned? Can i just use any polish that I have for painted surfaces?

thanks,
    GLS

Post Thanks / Like

meguairs vs wolfgang and wheel care

Pics of the wheels will help us to figure out what`s going on.

Without any other info, start with an iron targeting cleaner like iron-x, iron-x paste or sonax wheel cleaner plus. Next try claying them. Beyond that, we need pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: meguairs vs wolfgang and wheel care

if I have doubts of what to use, megs is always a safe bet. m105/m205 are usually a standard by which others are judged. megs ultimate compound and swirl-x have about the same cut of m105/m205 and are less expensive.
    some good less expensive waxes are anything poorboys, which can aslo be applied in the sun, and collinite #845 insulator wax, which is very long lasting compared to most. my favorite wax is still bfms, but is more expensive.
    what kind of wheels do you have, painted, chrome, aluminum ? iron-x is a good start to decontaminate them.

Post Thanks / Like

New to this and all of the products. BFMS?

Post Thanks / Like

BlackFire Midnight Sun
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

As far as compounds/polishes go - I would recommend that you pick up some 3M Adapt. It cuts very well with the correct pad and finishes down great. This is a great product if you are looking for a "one step" polish.

If you are looking for something that you can purchase locally. The Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish make a great 1-2 punch. These are the "consumer" versions of M105/205.

As for waxes and sealants - Durability on a daily driver is very important to me. I would recommend Duragloss 105 sealant or Collinite 845 wax. Both of these choices look great, are very cost effective and extremely durable. You can even layer the 845 over the 105 for a bulletproof combo that can give you up to a years worth of protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are a first time user, I would also recommend the Meguiars Ultimate line. I started this route and they are very user friendly so you can focus on learning to use the machine vs. trying to learn the machine and product at the same time. After a few cars, then explore some other products.

Post Thanks / Like

I save the premium waxes for my garage queen. My DD usually wears Collinite or Duragloss just for the longevity. Of course I have been known to spread a bit of Blackfire Midnight Sun or Souveran over my Colli or DG when I`m feeling really energetic.
    As far as the wheels, once you get `em clean, use the most durable sealant you have. The above mentioned Collinite (845, 476 or 915), and DG (105 or 111) work very well, but my favorite is Finish Kare 1000P. I`m not crazy about the FK on the paint, but it seems to outlast everything else I`ve tried on clearcoated or painted wheels, repelling brake dust even on the German rides in my family fleet.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    Since you are a first time user, I would also recommend the Meguiars Ultimate line. I started this route and they are very user friendly so you can focus on learning to use the machine vs. trying to learn the machine and product at the same time. After a few cars, then explore some other products.
    I agree. The ultimate line is very user friendly and it gets your feet wet. They give great results. Once you get your technique down you can move onto another product. Although I would recommend M205 or Ultimate Polish.

Do you have photos of the wheels to see what you are working with?
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I second starting with the Ultimate Line. It is easier to use than 105/205. While you may "graduate" to 105/205, you may never see the need either. (BTW, consider 101 rather than 105 - it is made for use with foam pads).

As to waxes, if you are dead set on waxing, Collinite 845 is really hard to beat for utility (i.e. protection). As you have seen, the Poor Boys waxes are also highly recommended on the forum though I haven`t used them.

I would look seriously at using a sealant as your primary protection. My current favorite is Black Fire Wet Diamond (or Black Fire CS - very similar product). Both are very easy to apply and have a great look. I have also had really good results with Zaino and Klasse sealants.

You can wax over a sealant as it gets older to top up the finish. (I use Pinnacle Liquid Souveran as my top up during the Winter months.)

Just one POV!
    Regards,
    <TED>

Post Thanks / Like

Megs Ult Compound and Polish are fine, another choice that I like is M101 and D300 - if you can`t fix it with those, it`s time to look for a good painter.
    I prefer the Buff & Shine pads to anything Lake Country or Megs has, and if I could only use 1 pad for everything it would be the B&S microfiber polishing pad, the one with the gray foam backing.
    Toppers - not a big fan of waxes, my jars of Souveran and Blackfire Midnight Sun get less work than a 500 pound jockey. I tried Menzerna Power Lock and to me, it`s better than Blackfire Wet Diamond, and I was a big fan of that. Power Lock is cheaper, lasts longer, looks just a good and feels slicker. I have had far more compliments on that than I had with Blackfire.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in southeast La so i get a little sun and heat down here. Sounds like the consensus is a sealant might be a better option with a daily driver that is outside the garage in the elements at home and work. Wax can be added on top to soften or deepen the look as well as the feel. Am i getting close?

thanks,
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GLS0628 View Post
    I am in southeast La so i get a little sun and heat down here. Sounds like the consensus is a sealant might be a better option with a daily driver that is outside the garage in the elements at home and work. Wax can be added on top to soften or deepen the look as well as the feel. Am i getting close?

thanks,
    Greg
    Sounds spot on to me. The wax on top of the sealant will help act as a sacrificial barrier also and increase overall durability.

Thread Information