Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: opti coat question

I have OC 2.0 on the front half of my car, and stuff happens. I had a bird bomb, washed it off the same day, but have some minor etching. A semi in front of me flipped up shredded tire debris and I got a light scratch. Both of these are on the hood. So, 3 months in, I have a couple of issues w/ my hood. The coating may be permanent, but it`s going to get degraded by bad luck if nothing else. I would NOT sell it as a permanent coating that never needs to be replaced, but more as a coating that offers superior protection. I don`t see mine lasting more than a year or two before I won`t be able to stand not correcting it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sotra similar thing happened to me. Before I knew what was what, I had my new car corrected and had Opti Coat Pro applied ("heavily" according to the detailer who was really reputable and came at the suggestion of someone on the forums). About 2 week later I went on a road trip and wanting to arrive at my destination with a clean ride, I went to a "hand wash" spot. Made doubly sure it was going to be hand washed and not driven through their auto wash, even provided my own MFs. Well, the car came back clean, but with some light spiderweb marring. I have learned my lesson and then some.

My hope is the the marring is light enough that I can use a finishing polish (WG FG perhaps) and a white pad to knock out the marring without completely removing the OC Pro. Then maybe I can add a layer of OC 2.0 on top of that? The cost of the OC Pro was about $300 for me, maybe because I had a 2-step done and got a bit of a discount, I dunno (total was about $700). Maybe it would be better to take the car back to my detailer and have them add another lay of OC Pro after a light polish? Or do the polish myself and have another layer of OC Pro applied?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Tesla Tacket -
    If you had the coating on only 2 weeks, I dont think it was cured yet, and that means fully hardened..

Did you watch the guys washing your car ? You just cant let people who know nothing about washing carefully, wash your car...

Once it has cured, you cannot just add a layer to it - it wont adhere to the existing layer..

There is a small window after the 1st layer when you can supposedly apply another, and after that, its on and that is the end..

You know, there have been probably thousands of applications of this product, since it came out, and what only 2-3 problems here ?

What I would do is go back to the Detailer that originally installed it and let him look at your paint and decide what can be done with it.

You can certainly polish lightly on it to remove stuff, but you have to be careful you dont remove it off the panel.

How about taking this to the Optimum Technologies Forum and calling Optimum and getting their opinion ?

Believe someone once said you can use Optimum Finish Polish on OptiCoat and carefully clean up marks..

Sorry this had to happen to you..
    DanF

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I didn`t know better then unfortunately and also didn`t know about 30-45 day cure time. Great suggestions though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Ok, you are going to make me have to take a picture of my (2011) 3+ year-old Opti-Guard on my Grand Cherokee...

Dan F
    yep
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information