Post Thanks / Like

Black Pain cloudy after wax?

Hey everyone,

This will be my first post besides my intro thread!!!

I have a friend who just purchased a 2006 Black Honda Civic Si. She tried herself to clean it up with a bath and then decided to give it a much needed wax to really shine it up.

The results were in a word....horrible.

The once black paint is now cloudy and streaky. There is even a hand impression from where it looks like she tried to get a good handle on the car for leverage.

I am going to try to take pictures so you guys could properly assess the damage and what would need to be done. I have a feeling though that this damage needs to be corrected using a DA or Orbital.. It may be impossible to do by hand or my not correct the entire thing.

My game plan is to start with a good wash. I want to then make sure the paint surface is clean and uncontaminated so I may need to clay bar the entire car. After this I don`t know if a good compound would begin to clear up the paint clarity so I am on the fence between this and a cleaner wax.

Any further advice you guy can give me without pictures for the time being would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Pain cloudy after wax?

did this person prep the surface at all with clay, polish or anything before applying the wax? if not, thats probably why it looks like a mess. I don`t think you`ll need to polish that off, sounds like sweating/ghosting or just a bad job. You can strip it all with clay and a paint cleaner and start again

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like she used a cleaner wax in direct sunlight and didn`t remove it fast enough. You need to remove it asap and start over. Wash with Dawn, clay, and see where you are with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it sounds like it was applied in direct sunlight and cooked on making it extremely difficult to remove. Try a wash with dawn like mrclean said and see if that takes it off. You may want to try something like Poorboy`s World Professional Polish

If she cant help but use products in the direct sun, stick with poorboys stuff. Ive let their wax cook on my car for 30 minutes on a 85 degree day once cause my neighbor interrupted me to chat for a bit... still came right off

Post Thanks / Like

Upon closer inspection it appears to be worse than wax applied to the paint wrong..

While there very well be some wax build up on the paint. It appears that when she washed it, the painted surfaces were not clean. When she went to use the wax she ground in any dirt in the paint. Being that this is a Honda (weak paint), the entire paint job is covered entirely with deep swirl marks and scratches. It looks so bad that the once deep black paint looks almost very greyish?

I will use dawn and wash the car like that to remove any wax residue but I believe the car will need a compounding followed by a good polishing.

Some of the paint in spots is peeling through. Those panels will for sure need a new coat of paint but I would say...repaint the whole car while your at it.

So...for now I will try to correct what I can for her and if and when she wishes, she can have the car repainted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Sounds to me like she used a cleaner wax in direct sunlight and didn`t remove it fast enough. You need to remove it asap and start over. Wash with Dawn, clay, and see where you are with it.
    Bingo!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Anyway you can post pictures?

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as I can get pictures I will post them.

Thread Information