Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Spots On Guage Cluster Plastic

Hey guys/gals

Car season is here!!!!...and did a quick first detail of the season. Anyways...I have these spots on my gauge cluster plastic that won`t come off.

I did a quick search on here. .and I already have Mother`s plastic polish and the Klass all in one polish.

I read that the Novus kit is good for my issue. Should I pick some up or will the mothers or klass work?

Thanks in advance
    Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spots On Guage Cluster Plastic

I have used mothers plastic polish on headlights with good results. it should work fine for a gauge cluster. I`ve also had good luck with paint polish on clusters. It also depends on how bad the defects are on the cluster. If they aren`t to bad then it can be polished out relatively easy by hand with a microfiber towel and some polish.

Post Thanks / Like

If products that contain silicone are left on the plastic too long, they will leave permanent spots. Silicone can be some nasty stuff, as it will ruing plastic, glass, clear coat, etc.

When I was a teenager I used to shine the dashboard of my Z24 cavalier with tire shine, which back then continued crazy amounts of silicone. One of the times, I must have left some spots on the instrument cluster plastic window because there were spots I couldn`t get off. Today I realize that the silicone in the product probably etched the plastic. The trick to hidding such damage is ironic.... You need to polish it up with another silicone based product.

The best way to clear instrument cluster plastic is to hand polish with pledge. Trust me on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm..interesting. I will try the pledge. If that doesn`t work I will go the mothers plastic polish route. Thanks for the info.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like
    Just replace it.

If it`s the Lexan plastic type piece that is clear, the part is usually cheap - unless you drive a Bugatti or something. If you try and "polish" it, it will never come out right. This type of plastic is sooo soft and IME almost impossible to polish 100% defect free. The sun will hit it one way, and you will see your polishing imperfections.

In order to polish it - you will have to remove it anyway. If you do replace it, make sure to inspect it before you pay for the new part, and sometimes these things come new with defects. Don`t touch it with your hands when you get the new part, wear rubber gloves while installing.

It may be a defect (dirt) that is behind the the plastic. Oddly, almost all E85/86 BMW M cars have a "blob" of smudge on the backside of the instrument cluster lens in a set location. Nobody knows the cause of this, but this "smudge" somehow tends to get worse as the car ages (it`s only the size of a dime). This can be successfully cleaned by removing the plastic, since it`s not a defect - just a smudge.

If your cleaning this type of plastic use car wash soap and DI water. Then, rinse with DI water and let it air dry. Wiping dry will likely cause scratching.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I want to avoid taking apart the dash because that`s when things get scratched and those plastic anchors break. I`m pretty sure I got Armorall or 303 on it. Nothing is cheap to replace on my car, sadly. I`m not driving a BMW, though. I will try the pledge and then the plastic polish. If that doesn`t work then I will buy the replacement plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

What about meguiar`s plastx. I have used that on my gauge cluster with no issues.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guz...I just happen to have the Mothers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    What about meguiar`s plastx. I have used that on my gauge cluster with no issues.
    I did some testing between Plastx and Mothers on some CD jewel cases and I got better results (finished better) than Plastx but Plastx was stronger. On sensitive surfaces, I used Mothers.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I just completed correcting my gauge cluster on my 1988 4runner. I tried pastix but it doesn`t finish well enough. You could still see mirco-marring. The Novus system worked flawlessly. That is what I recommend.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks conquistador. I`m doing a full detail tomorrow...first time using my klass all in one. I will try the mothers. if that doesn`t satisfy me, then I will order the novus. If THAT doesn`t make me feel better...lol...I will order the replacement piece. Thanks for all your input you guys/gals! Much appreciated!

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

I would not start grinding away plastic. Try the pledge before anything. It`s cheap, fast and harmless. You will be surprised.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Midway..I`m trying that first. Thanks for the advice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I did some testing between Plastx and Mothers on some CD jewel cases and I got better results (finished better) than Plastx but Plastx was stronger. On sensitive surfaces, I used Mothers.
    I picked up some Mothers plastic polish. I have to say that you were right. It definitely finished better on the gauge cluster than plastx.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Plastx is meant for headlights and tough corroded surfaces. Mothers stuff I always find to be a bit more fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information