Post Thanks / Like

Opti-Coat right choice for daily drivers?

Putting together a proper detailing package for taking care of our cars (14 X1, 10 Edge). X1 is new and Edge is in good shape.

Not going after a show shine but want the cars to look good and minimize the overall time to maintain.

I`ve started building a kit based around Porter 7424XP and Opti-Coat 2.0.

From my understanding, once I put in the initial work of getting the OC2 on properly, I can simply wash properly and maintain with Opti Spray Wax once in a while.

Is this a good choice for my situation?

Will list the contents of the kit I`m considering if it helps.

Van G

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti-Coat right choice for daily drivers?

A lot of this comes down to personal opinion as there are a lot of good products offered my Autopia. As you can see from peoples posts, a lot of success can be had from a wide variety of products. Since you asked specifically about OC 2.0 I will give you my experience with it and compare it to other product I used recently.

OC 2.0 is a fantastic choice for a daily driver. I had a pro apply it to a Subaru July 2012 and I applied it to my wife`s MDX shortly there after. Both cars look great and are still very easy to clean. Nothing seems to stick to OC and the cars remain very mar free. The Subrau has never seen a swirl-a-matic but ,my wife just cannot help herself and the OC 2.0 stands up to it very well.

I do not believe in topping coatings because you pay a lot for the protection durability and looks, why compromise it with a wax or sealant. I would let it roll "naked" and I think you get the best look and performance. Waxes hold dirt and sealants don`t last as long as coatings.

Beading has started to fall off my OC`d cars but the protection is still there as I can confirm after I wash and see how easy it is to clean. I plan in using an iron removing product shortly to see if that restores beading and if not then some light decon with clay to see if that helps.

OC has been great, its lasts and protects just like the advertisements say.
    For a car that is not babied, and you want the most wow for the least maintenance-OC it the correct choice IMHO.

If you can take a step down (small step) in protection, but a step up in shine, tight beads and slickness I can tell you about my happiness with GTECH EXO v2 all day. It had not been on my car as long as the OC 2.0 so I can`t give you long term comparisons, all I can tell you is that its been 9 months and a bad NY winter and the EXO still going strong. Application is equally as easy and like any product, the prep work is far more important than what you decide to use as the LSP (Last Step Product). Proper Prep (Wash, decon (De-Ironizer,clay and or Speedy Prep pad) , polishing and residue removal) is the foundation of the LSP. DO as much if not more research on the prep than you do on the LSP and you will get the results you see posted here.

Search my user name and you will see the write ups and ongoing reviews on both the OC 2.0 cars and GTECH EXO cars.

FWIW, I would pass on the PC and go for a GG or a Rupes. The GG Vibrates less and I like it better. I have a PC I never use anymore (not an XP) because after using a GG there is no comparison in terms of comfort in my hand. I have not used a Rupes but they are the latest and greatest. People I trust on here use it and like it very much. There is a good comparison of all the Rupes that was just posted recently by Todd. If you decide to go that route, check it out. I like my GG just fine and its less $ and guaranteed for life. Perhaps someone can compare the Rupes with the GG for you? If your just getting into a machine, I feel the PC (any variant) is a has been. Just trying to guide you, I don`t sell any of this stuff, just to be clear, this whole post is the personal opinion of a guy who buys too much stuff !

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Van G View Post
    Putting together a proper detailing package for taking care of our cars (14 X1, 10 Edge). X1 is new and Edge is in good shape.

Not going after a show shine but want the cars to look good and minimize the overall time to maintain.

I`ve started building a kit based around Porter 7424XP and Opti-Coat 2.0.

From my understanding, once I put in the initial work of getting the OC2 on properly, I can simply wash properly and maintain with Opti Spray Wax once in a while.

Is this a good choice for my situation?

Will list the contents of the kit I`m considering if it helps.

Van G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    A lot of this comes down to personal opinion as there are a lot of good products offered my Autopia. As you can see from peoples posts, a lot of success can be had from a wide variety of products. Since you asked specifically about OC 2.0 I will give you my experience with it and compare it to other product I used recently.

OC 2.0 is a fantastic choice for a daily driver. I had a pro apply it to a Subaru July 2012 and I applied it to my wife`s MDX shortly there after. Both cars look great and are still very easy to clean. Nothing seems to stick to OC and the cars remain very mar free. The Subrau has never seen a swirl-a-matic but ,my wife just cannot help herself and the OC 2.0 stands up to it very well.

I do not believe in topping coatings because you pay a lot for the protection durability and looks, why compromise it with a wax or sealant. I would let it roll "naked" and I think you get the best look and performance. Waxes hold dirt and sealants don`t last as long as coatings.

Beading has started to fall off my OC`d cars but the protection is still there as I can confirm after I wash and see how easy it is to clean. I plan in using an iron removing product shortly to see if that restores beading and if not then some light decon with clay to see if that helps.

OC has been great, its lasts and protects just like the advertisements say.
    For a car that is not babied, and you want the most wow for the least maintenance-OC it the correct choice IMHO.

If you can take a step down (small step) in protection, but a step up in shine, tight beads and slickness I can tell you about my happiness with GTECH EXO v2 all day. It had not been on my car as long as the OC 2.0 so I can`t give you long term comparisons, all I can tell you is that its been 9 months and a bad NY winter and the EXO still going strong. Application is equally as easy and like any product, the prep work is far more important than what you decide to use as the LSP (Last Step Product). Proper Prep (Wash, decon (De-Ironizer,clay and or Speedy Prep pad) , polishing and residue removal) is the foundation of the LSP. DO as much if not more research on the prep than you do on the LSP and you will get the results you see posted here.

Search my user name and you will see the write ups and ongoing reviews on both the OC 2.0 cars and GTECH EXO cars.

FWIW, I would pass on the PC and go for a GG or a Rupes. The GG Vibrates less and I like it better. I have a PC I never use anymore (not an XP) because after using a GG there is no comparison in terms of comfort in my hand. I have not used a Rupes but they are the latest and greatest. People I trust on here use it and like it very much. There is a good comparison of all the Rupes that was just posted recently by Todd. If you decide to go that route, check it out. I like my GG just fine and its less $ and guaranteed for life. Perhaps someone can compare the Rupes with the GG for you? If your just getting into a machine, I feel the PC (any variant) is a has been. Just trying to guide you, I don`t sell any of this stuff, just to be clear, this whole post is the personal opinion of a guy who buys too much stuff !

Good Luck.
    Well I was gonna respond... but then you did! Nice response Jeff.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great reply. Was originally looking for the GG DA but was directed to PA on the basis that they have minimal returns (PA being a tool manufacturer). Rupes wouldn`t be good value for me given my use. Also plan on using DA for furniture, carpet, and metal polishing around the house.

What products did you use for the GTech Exo v2?

Post Thanks / Like

Great products for topping any coating is Sonax Polymer net Shield and Brilliant Shine Detailer. I second the GG and teh Rupes. I have a PC with a 3 inch backing plate and use it with 3.25 and 3.5 pads on small sections. It takes speeds 5 and 6 to correct.

www.meticulous-detail.com/

"The Prep makes the Pop, not what`s on Top"

Post Thanks / Like

Todd

What`s your opinion between Pinnacle black label coating the Gtech Exo coating ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Being on vacation give me the freedom to publish lol. Got on a roll and kept rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Well I was gonna respond... but then you did! Nice response Jeff.

Post Thanks / Like

Jsfm35x

What`s your opinion between Pinnacle black label coating and the Gtech Exo coating ??

Post Thanks / Like

I used ironx then speedy prep pad fine grade. Then I polished with menzerna pf106 and then po85. Not 100 percent sure if I got the numbers right. They are the older formulas. Wiped down with IPA at 30% IPA and distilled water. Applied with suede and foam block. Leveled with a cheapie MF towel. Just fold so the edges don`t hit paint.

Super easy process. Used a mint polishing pad and finished with a white.

All work was done with the 6" and 3" GG.

Gtech g1 and g2 on windshield. Exo on all other glass.

Thanks for the great reply. Was originally looking for the GG DA but was directed to PA on the basis that they have minimal returns (PA being a tool manufacturer). Rupes wouldn`t be good value for me given my use. Also plan on using DA for furniture, carpet, and metal polishing around the house.

What products did you use for the GTech Exo v2?

Post Thanks / Like

I`m still kicking around going the coating vs. traditional seal and wax process for our daily drivers.

What are the time and material expenses like between traditional vs. coating on an annual basis (given proper washing is equal for both)? Would I need to decontaminate, polish, seal, wax twice a year or simply decontaminate and wax after initial paint correction?

Some feedback on the coatings indicates they don`t last as long as promised but if I`m able to get 3-5 years of simple maintenance between major work then it seems like a no brainer.

Everyone`s opinion of a great looking car is different but these are daily drivers that I`d like to look good on the road.

Secondary questions: what other uses does a polisher have around the home? Can i polish tools, stainless steel, furniture projects, carpet/upholstery cleaning, mirrors? Interested to hear what other functions I can apply this tool to.

Van G

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used the black label so I cannot compare the 2. I can tell you that I have used the ultima line and from my experience the Autopia private brands are very good values in terms of performance for the buck. In simple terms they don`t smack their name on junk.

I have not had any first hand experience with the black label coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Anf0180 View Post
    Todd

What`s your opinion between Pinnacle black label coating the Gtech Exo coating ??

Post Thanks / Like

I think a coating like opticoat or GTech could easily last 2 years. My Opticoat is there already amd my EXO v2 is strong after 9 months. Depending on what the car is exposed to is how long it will last. My M37xs, MDX and Subaru all sit out 24x7. My DD sees 18-20k miles per year. I go to work every day unless I am dead or dying lol. Sad but true.

Proper wash is a must and even with that I needed to apply P21s 100% every 4-weeks, ultima pgp every 8-12 and BFWD every 3 months boosting it with the polymer spray. The coatings last 3-6x more than the best sealant mi will never go back.

I`m still kicking around going the coating vs. traditional seal and wax process for our daily drivers.

What are the time and material expenses like between traditional vs. coating on an annual basis (given proper washing is equal for both)? Would I need to decontaminate, polish, seal, wax twice a year or simply decontaminate and wax after initial paint correction?

Some feedback on the coatings indicates they don`t last as long as promised but if I`m able to get 3-5 years of simple maintenance between major work then it seems like a no brainer.

Everyone`s opinion of a great looking car is different but these are daily drivers that I`d like to look good on the road.

Secondary questions: what other uses does a polisher have around the home? Can i polish tools, stainless steel, furniture projects, carpet/upholstery cleaning, mirrors? Interested to hear what other functions I can apply this tool to.

Van G

Post Thanks / Like

Both our cars are outside 24/7 in Toronto (not too hot, not too cold . Put about 25K on each a year.

Could you explain the regiment you suggested above? "Proper wash is a must and even with that I needed to apply P21s 100% every 4-weeks, ultima pgp every 8-12 and BFWD every 3 months boosting it with the polymer spray."

What products are you talking about in addition to proper wash:
    P21S?
    Ultima Paint Guard Plus
    BFWD - BlackFire Wet Diamond?

Do you clay or nanoscrub the car once OC2 has been applied?

Thread Information