Post Thanks / Like

Listen to your paint, it`s talking!

Listen To The Paint...

You could say I am obsessed with shiny things. Or to be more specific, I am obsessed with making shiny things, well... more shiny. I appreciate gloss, reflectivity, and accurate reflections...

In theory, taking any reflective material to its maximum gloss potential is a matter of making it reflect a maximum amount of light. All materials have natural light frequencies which affect their gloss potential. This is basically how much light is absorbed, passes through, or is reflected. These properties, inherent to the material, cannot be changed. We cannot change the light-reflecting properties of the material (although we coat over them with something more reflective such as a car wax) However, by making the surface texture smoother, even at a microscopic level, we can enhance the amount of light reflected directly to the source, thus increasing the shine.

You could even say, given the paragraph above, that I like to make smooth things even smoother. It is an odd obsession to have, yet one that has allowed me to focus on polishing some of the world`s rarest and most valuable cars. In addition, I have an opportunity to share the lessons, knowledge, and experience I have gained on this website, AutopiaForums, as well as help those who ask for me when calling Autopia-CarCare.com`s phone number: 1.877.855.3125

Smoother Is Better...

When it comes to maximizing the gloss potential of automotive paint, a smoother and more uniform surface is going to reflect light waves directly back to their source. We seen this increase in reflected light waves (or more accurately reflected light waves) as a more brilliant, brighter reflection.

Scratches or other small texture on the paint`s surface (whether it be single-stage paint or modern basecoat/clearcoat) will cause light to reflect in different directions, dependent on angle of the texture. You can aim the reflection of your living room light by holding a mirror at different angles. Paint that has a texture made of scratches, micro-scratches, swirl marks, paint contamination, and orange peel will reflect light in an uncountable number of directions.

Leveling the surface, and removing the microscopic bumps and angles, is done by a process called machine polishing or surface enhancement. With today`s modern tools, it is fairly easy to remove visible scratches and swirl marks, creating a surface that looks perfect in the sun and radiates gloss from every angle. While modern tools and products make it easy to make modern paint look good.... well really good... I am a firm believer that you can always do better!

When we are polishing paint, we using a polishing pad to rub abrasive grains (tiny little particles that are harder than the paint) across the surface. This abrasive grains leave their impressions on the surface. The finer (smaller) and more uniform (consistent) these marks, the more uniform and smooth they make the paint.

However, polishing the paint isn`t just a matter of selecting a polish with the finest abrasive grains and using the softest pads.... There are many factors at play.

Polishes Are Alive!!!

Polishes are alive... I know it sounds weird BUT I already warned you that I am obsessed. While the abrasives in the polish certainly have a huge impact on the polish`s performance, they are not the only factors. Polishes are a combination of different lubricants and carrier oils. These lubricants give the polish its ability to spread across the paint and work across the paint without drying up and dusting away. Most polishes use a combination of different oils and water-based lubricants.

Like motor oil, these lubricants have a different viscosity. They tend to become thinner when exposed to heat and tend to thicken when cooled. This means that a polishes behavior will change depending on the ambient temperature, the temperature of the paint, the type of polishing pad, the style of machine, the pressure applied to the polishing pad, the paint itself, and even the humidity.

Because the polishes are dynamic, that is they are constantly changing, I like to think of them as being alive. While many finishing polishes will perform well on most paint systems in most conditions, if you are looking for the highest absolute gloss, you will need to have a variety of premium finishing polishes.

In my detailing career, I quickly learned there is no “best” polish for every single paint. There is not even a “best” polish for the same paint on different days.

Listen To The Paint; It`s Talking!!

I am not The Paint Whisper and I cannot tell you what the paint is saying. However, as you become more versed in detailing and get more experience you will find that the paint will actually communicate with you. Stay with me here; I am going off the deep end...

The direction of the scratches can tell you how the paint has been washed or cared for. If the paint is noticeably more scratched on one side or in one section, you can often see how the owner washes the car (using 1 bucket that progressively gets dirtier). If the paint looks faded in one area you can see how it has been parked relative to the sun... However this is not the communication I am talking about.

Listen to the paint (by using all of your senses) when you polish a section. How is the polish reacting. How are the marks coming out. Constantly observe the progress you are making. The paint will tell you what it needs. With more experience you will find yourself reaching for certain pad and polish combinations, listening to the paint and making adjustments to your technique. Sometimes you switch a pad, select a different polish, use a different speed or machine.

If you remain dynamic, constantly try to improve your results, and observe your results, you will find that the paint will talk to you too. It will tell you what it wants and you simply have to apply it. Many times I am asked why selected a particular polishing combination or a used a certain process. The answer is that I listened to what the paint wanted. Stay focused, and someday you may here the paint talk to you too (and join me in the loony bin).

Keep Your Arsenal Stocked With Quality Polishes!

I only stock the finest polishes in my bag. Below is the list I take with me on every detail. Highlighted in blue are the ones I use the most common.

Heavy Cut:
    Meguiar`s M105 UCC
    Meguiar`s M101 FPC
    Menzerna FG400
    Menzerna PG1000
    3M Extra Cut Compound

Medium Cut/Swirl Mark Removers:
    Menzerna SI1500
    Menzerna IP2000
    Menzerna PF2500
    BLACKFIRE SRC Compound
    Sonax Profiline Fine Abrasive Paste

Finishing Polishes:
    BLACKFIRE SRC Finishing Polish
    Meguiars M205
    Menzerna SF4000
    Menzerna SF4500
    Sonax Profiline Nano Polish
    3M Ultra Fine Polish

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Listen to your paint, it`s talking!

Excellent write up Todd! Most of us here have that obsession to shine!
    Official Selected Team Member of the Air Force One Detailing Team
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE-8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

nice write up todd. i`m not as obsessive as you and my wife thinks i`m already in the looney bin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfahlc1 View Post
    nice write up todd. i`m not as obsessive as you and my wife thinks i`m already in the looney bin.
    It can always get worse!

Post Thanks / Like

you may not be an Obsessive Compulsive Detailer when you get here, but you probably will be when you leave. (or at least good looney bin material)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    you may not be an Obsessive Compulsive Detailer when you get here, but you probably will be when you leave. (or at least good looney bin material)
    That is the goal...

"Welcome my friends to the machine...."

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever used different materials on the same car mid compounding/polishing? I`ve been wondering if there`s any difference between vertical or horizontal panels, would you preferably do a test spot on one or the other? Or is damage to paint pretty uniform over the vehicle (minus water spots)

Post Thanks / Like

i usually find more abuse on the horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, trunk), though some vehicles can be equally trashed all over. if some surfaces are in better condition, you obviously won`t have to be as aggressive with compounding, polishing, etc. and make your adjustments.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay thanks! I figured horizontal surfaces would have more damage because of substances that end up sitting on the panels for a longer period of time.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to think the song "Hotel California" by The Eagles, used to be about heroin addiction but now I think it`s about OCDetailing.

Thread Information