Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cigar smoke smell, Help???? IT WONT GO AWAY

So I have this truck back at my shop for the 3rd time it is a super charged range rover that someone smoked cigars in and then sold it handed it down to one of their kids. Well orignally it came in for a detail, and to get the smoke smell out. I said no problem, I have an OZONE machine and it`ll get handled. Did a full detail on the car inside out and ozoned it for 10 hours total and could still smell a little bit of the smoke 80-90% improvement.... Told the customer if it came back let me know. Week later car shows up and smells just as bad as it did when it came in... Ozoned it again and changed the cabin air filter, also extracted it agian, clean everything agian. 80-90% improvement.....here we are a month later and it smells again same thing just as bad..... Any ideals? I`m married to this car and until that smell is gone..... I`ve never seen any smell that couldnt be ozoned out its nuts????? Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cigar smoke smell, Help???? IT WONT GO AWAY

Glass of vinegar and another cup of coffee beans left overnight.

Sorry, only idea I have

Post Thanks / Like

Did you clean the head liner? Tell them to stop smoking in it? Lol. That mess gets every where. What about the seat belts? Just trying to think of the odd stuff. Good luck with it.

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbor had the same problem with his truck he just bought until he used vinegar in bowl overnight. He tried just about everything and it would always come back but the vinegar so far a month later has worked. He says about the only time he gets a faint smell is on hot humid days after it has been closed up all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great opportunity for a demo of DrivePur. I haven`t tried it myself, but have heard good things. Knowing you ozoned it already it would be a great test.

Post Thanks / Like

Cigarette smoke can penetrate anywhere. I`m sure there is still untouched surfaces you cleaned like underneath the seats, vents, inside panels that you can`t get into. It can even penetrate metals. I wish you the best of luck and hope you find a way to get rid of it for good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same "smoke smell" issue in my Dodge Ram. The former owner must have been a smoker. I found that Car Pro So Pure really helped. I did clean and wipe down the interior first.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never heard of anything survive an ozone machine too. I`d also throw in a charcoal suggestion. Pat nailed it with the So2Pure (aaaaand.. it`s BOGO somewhere in the PBMG family ). It does help a lot.

Edit: I did a smoker`s car once and the smell came back; I then removed the carpeting, cleaned the chassis, sprayed the carpet with some vinegar overnight then rinsed and allowed to dry. It was a pain!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Vinegar can help remove a lot of odors. I`d give it a try. When I bought my old truck it had smokers smell in it that the dealer tried to cover up. I ended up pulling everything out and cleaning it really well and letting it all air out

Post Thanks / Like

very simple and cheap: so2pure. photocatalyst coat
    AG sell it. : CarPro So2Pure Air Purifying Coating 120 ml. Buy One, Get One Free!
    its on sale now i think as well

just spray all over inside the car, let the car stay in the sun with semi closed windows for 30 min and it will diminish all the smells.
    and not for short time as well.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the ideals guys I was up till like 5am working on this car I ripped the entire interior out of it PITA and cleaned everything, I ozoned it empty for an hour while I took a nap. I put it all back together and parked it outside windows up, just checked it....... And well guess I`m gonna try vinagar then if that doesnt work ill get the car pro stuff... Thanks again for advice guys this is annoying I just did like 15 hours of labor for free... Umm 1 question about the vingar do I just set a bowl in the car? and close it up?

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the problems with smoke smell is if it was done while running the a/c. The tars and resins( which cigars are very heavy) coat the condenser along with it`s housing inside which sweats. Unless this is also cleaned it will almost always come back.

Lay some sort of clean absorbent cloth under where the vehicle drips while running a/c. Then doing a sniff test might let you know if this is where it is. Although many of those have dual a/c which gets more complicated.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avi@CarPro View Post
    very simple and cheap: so2pure. photocatalyst coat
    AG sell it. : CarPro So2Pure Air Purifying Coating 120 ml. Buy One, Get One Free!
    its on sale now i think as well

just spray all over inside the car, let the car stay in the sun with semi closed windows for 30 min and it will diminish all the smells.
    and not for short time as well.
    Autopia-CarCare.com sells it as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Autopia-CarCare.com sells it as well!
    Sorry Todd, i just didnt find the link...
    please excuse me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Umm 1 question about the vingar do I just set a bowl in the car? and close it up?
    That is tedious stuff, props to you!! Yes just place some vinegar in a bowl and leave it sitting inside for a couple of hours at least. Just make sure it doesn`t spill

What John also said. I used to spray some odor bombs in the outside vents with the a/c on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information