Post Thanks / Like

New to detailing, few questions

Hey all,

I`m a noob to detailing and have a few questions about some products that I was recommended to use. I have a 2007 Acura TL type-S. I purchased the car used and to my knowledge and from looking over the car thoroughly, it does not appear to have ever been detailed or at least detailed properly. I have posted some pictures at the bottom of this thread. You can see the swirling and scratches. Anyways, I intend on doing the works here in the next month or so. My intent is to wash -->IronX --> ---Clay Bar ---> M105 ---> M205 --->Remove with 50/50 rubbing alcohol/water ---> Finish off with Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant.

I intent on picking up one of two orbital polishers below. Either the Porter cable 7424XP or the Griots Garage 6 inch random orbital polisher. I will be getting 5-6 pads along with the them too.

After doing some reading through the FAQ`s and the stickies, I see that there are many variables to take into account when trying to judge what degree of cutting power will be administered dependent upon paint hardness/softness, polisher speed, pad type, pressure, and obviously the product that you are using.

Do you guys think that this is a good start? Is there much risk involved if I`m careful and do my homework first?

Thanks for the help!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Porter-COMPLETE-DETAILING-BACKING-ACCESSORIES/dp/B003UW1IQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332251230&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Porter Cable 7424XP COMPLETE DETAILING KIT + PADS+ BACKING PLATE & ACCESSORIES (13 Items): Automotive[/ame]

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Griot...Kit_p_683.html

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to detailing, few questions

I would say your plan sounds good, but I prefer the GG6 over the PC. Much more power and correction ability.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. A good plan of attack. You might need a few more pads and remember smaller ones will cut a bit faster. Look into some MF pads or Surbufs for cutting. Just check your work often when working with 105. Always do a test spot with your ENTIRE process before doing the whole car to make sure it is going to get you the desired results.

As for the polishers; everyone has their own preferences. Try finding someone with each so you can test drive them before buying.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Between the PC7242 Xp and the GG, it comes down to personal preference. While the GG has more power, I haven`t seen it really outperform the XP. Porter Cable`s are famous for the durability as well.

Education is the KEY to detailing correctly and safely. If you `put in the work` on education then you should have no issues making that Acura look great.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you have done your homework. That`s a solid start of a product selection too.

It`s hard to say, but since it doesn`t look like the paint is too bad. It`s hard to tell from 2 pics and I don`t really know Acura paint. You may only need to use the 205 to get your desired results. As Nth said, and I`m sure you`ve already read, let your test spots tell you what will work best. Start out with the least aggressive method and go from there.

Remember to tape your edges, could save you lots of headache if you accidentally get too close to them.

I haven`t tried the GG machine, but I do have a PCXP and can`t complain about it a bit. It`s been dropped plenty of times and it keeps coming back for more.
    Big dreams, No cash, but a whole lot of creativity mixed with a little bit of stupidity!

Post Thanks / Like

Buy small pads, I made the mistake of wasting money on big 7" pads without realizing it`d give me less pressure per sq inch for my small DA. Stupid.

Oh and be prepared to get a lot of mf/buffing towels. As for pads, MF burgundy will work well with the 105, and yellow polishing will do the 205.

If you`ve never done it before, it`ll be a little frustrating at first. Took me all day on my first run and I didn`t even properly finish haha I have yet to still go over some spots and work on others some more. But with a little patience, and some awesome tips off this site, you`ll see your results improve pretty quickly.

I probably will never get the mirror finish that Todd or some of the masters/veterans on this site can get, but I don`t want to burn down my clear too much. 205 didn`t remove much of the RDS for me or even all of the light swirls, but I haven`t gone over it too many times. I have a black car too and keeping a daily pristine is a pain the a$$!

The PCXP is great for me, pretty easy to handle and easy on the vibration.

Post Thanks / Like

GG 6", love mine, got my boss to buy one for work.
    Like others have said, you`d be well off to buy a 5" backing plate and go with 5.5" pads. They`ll correct quicker.
    But, if you just want to get a kit and go, then get the Detailer`s Domain kit, but spend the extra $30 to get the extra five pads. You`ll be glad you did.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like

definitely get more pads or you will find yourself constantly stopping to clean them. a good supply of microfiber towels is a must, too. otherwise, your game plan sounds good. you`re gonna love the bfwd.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the previous version of the PC and love it. In fact I am looking around for a vendor who still has one new because I would like a spare and don`t like the look of the new one. I know some have bragged about more power with some of the newer machines but I have accomplished what I need with my PC. I guess I should try another machine before blindly recommending the PC, though. I have a bunch of 6.5" pads but use 5.5" more often. In some cases 6.5" work fine. My biggest tip would be, less is more. I too often found myself using too much product.
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like

The nighthawk black pearl paint used on Acuras is a fantastic looking black when is cleaned up real nice. Good luck and enjoy!!
    2007 Subaru STi (Satin White Pearl)
    500whp / 494wtq @ 25psi
    2003 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 (Black)
    Bolt-ons
    2004 Hyundai Elantra GT (Ebony Black)
    Stock daily driver, 5sp

Thread Information