Post Thanks / Like

Toyota Corolla Headlights

Ok so Headlight fixes are a dime a dozen, so I`m not posting to brag about the greatest job I have done but just share what I used and the results. I also want to know which products you have use with good results.

Here is a before shot

After shots

My process:

• Sand with 1000 grit by hand
    • Sand with 2000 grit by hand
    • HD UNO with orange pad via makita rotary
    • PO85RD with crimson Hydro pad via PC
    • Opti coat 2.0

My easiet results with headlights have come with the 105/205 combo. The UNO worked ok but I feel 105 cuts faster. I have been close to LSP with 105 in the past. While PO85RD is my favorite finish polish on paint, I like 205 for the headlights. 205 cuts well and finishes very nicely.

So you may ask why did I not used 105/205. Well, I am out of 105 and I wanted to see that PO85RD would do. These results are great but 105/205 reduced my working time.

Which polishes have ya`all had the best success with on headlights?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toyota Corolla Headlights

Those turned out really good. I do a lot of headlight restos, but the results always vary. There have been a few that just WOULD NOT turn out the way I wanted them to, which is very discouraging. My process is pretty similar to yours. Many times I will even use my 3 inch Griots polisher with some 3M disks, which works very well but the disks are so expensive that I try not to rely on them except when I absolutely need them. How long did it take to sand those down? I sometimes question if maybe Im not spending enough time sanding...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Those turned out really good. I do a lot of headlight restos, but the results always vary. There have been a few that just WOULD NOT turn out the way I wanted them to, which is very discouraging. My process is pretty similar to yours. Many times I will even use my 3 inch Griots polisher with some 3M disks, which works very well but the disks are so expensive that I try not to rely on them except when I absolutely need them. How long did it take to sand those down? I sometimes question if maybe Im not spending enough time sanding...
    Thanks! Maybe I am just expecting perfection. Your comments pretty much sum up my purpose for writing the post. My results sometimes vary and you just never know how they will turn out until you try it. I only spent 5-10 minutes total sanding each light. I sanded a bit and wiped with water to see if I removed the defect, and stop sanding when I saw that I had. I really like polishing headlights because it is such a "clear" result, pun intended. The before and after is so distinct and the added safety of visibility is a major plus. I have gotten to the point where I will volunteer my services to some people I know because their lights just bug me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TID10 View Post
    Ok so Headlight fixes are a dime a dozen, so I`m not posting to brag about the greatest job I have done but just share what I used and the results. I also want to know which products you have use with good results.

Here is a before shot

After shots

My process:

• Sand with 1000 grit by hand
    • Sand with 2000 grit by hand
    • HD UNO with orange pad via makita rotary
    • PO85RD with crimson Hydro pad via PC
    • Opti coat 2.0

My easiet results with headlights have come with the 105/205 combo. The UNO worked ok but I feel 105 cuts faster. I have been close to LSP with 105 in the past. While PO85RD is my favorite finish polish on paint, I like 205 for the headlights. 205 cuts well and finishes very nicely.

So you may ask why did I not used 105/205. Well, I am out of 105 and I wanted to see that PO85RD would do. These results are great but 105/205 reduced my working time.

Which polishes have ya`all had the best success with on headlights?

Thanks
    I purchased a 3M headlight kit at Pep Boys for under $25 after taxes, the kit incleded everything needed, drill pad, orange pad, several 800-2000 & 3000 grit papers, polishing compound & some wax also. Everything is velcro so it`s very easy to change pad or sandpapers. The best part, when done, you can buy or make your own replacemt sandpapers depending on the grit needed. the drill`s backing plate is cushined so I have used it in areas on the car where my D/A can`t get into. So for under $25 I think I ded OK.

Thread Information