Post Thanks / Like

How to prep for brand switch?

I was wondering, what`s the best way to strip my car of all my preexisting products in preparation for a switch to another brand of products? I was already planning on claying the car, but will that remove my old brands wax coat? or do i need a pre-wax cleaner of some kind?

Looks like I`m switching from Meguiars to Poorboy`s... so i wanna strip the Ultimate Quik Wax and Ultimate Quik Detailer before i go PB crazy...
    Jared

2004 Saleen S281 Speedster
    2000 Honda Civic LX

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to prep for brand switch?

there is no need to go crazy ... wash, clay , polish and you are set
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned above.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

As PB says, no need for anything more than what you would normally do for initial prep work. Don`t know if you have clayed the surface recently or if you need to polish for defect removal or adding gloss. Which PB product are you going to use? If you are simply going with one of the Natty`s waxes or either PwC or PwS then you might not need any additional steps. If you are going with one of the sealants, then you might want to do a separate polish step.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

i`ve never clayed the car since i`ve owned it... I`ve actually never waxed it until fairly recently... The cars i was up against in a little local car show kinda showed me the light, that my car had a looooong way to go to be what it could... and in the shopping process for the products i have now (Meguiars Gold and Ultimate stuff) i started to get more interested in detailing...

i was thinking clay... i originally wasn`t going to, but now i guess pro polish... then blackhole, EX-P, and Liquid natty blue...?
    Jared

2000 Honda Civic LX

Post Thanks / Like

Since the vehicle has never been clayed, then most definitely it will benefit. You can do this as part of your wash process or afterwards. Just make sure you use proper lubrication, check the clay often and knead to reveal a clean, contaminant free surface and you will probably be surprised at what you remove from what appears to be a clean surface.

And as for the rest of your process, it looks good, assuming you`ve got a buffer (PC, Flex, etc.) to work that Pro Polish. Otherwise, as I understand it, the BlackHole will manage to do a fair amount of defect hiding and the EX-P and Natty`s will provide you with a nice look and protection.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. Sadly i have no buffer... all work will be done by hand for now... I can`t wait to place my order! Still got about a week til payday... I`ve actually been pretty amazed at what my car can look like with just a good wash with Meguiar`s Gold class soap, and Meguairs Ultimate Quik Wax... i can`t even imagine what all the PB stuff will do!
    Jared

2000 Honda Civic LX

Post Thanks / Like

Without a buffer I don`t know that you will be able to get the most out of the Pro Polish. The addition of a PC or like machine will really help you to bring out the best in many of the products we talk about here.

I have not used either of PB`s glazes yet, but just my guess but that along with the additional prep work will be the difference maker. It is not always easy, or even possible, to pick out visual differences of one wax over another.
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Without a polisher of some sort, I would probably suggest going the glaze/topper route. I was really impressed with Prima Amigo topped with Prima Banana Gloss - it hid a lot of defects, looks great, saved me a whole lot of time, and seems to have good longevity to date as far as a glaze/topper combos go. If you`re strictly looking for Poorboy stuff, I think the Black Hole glaze and any of the waxes would be a semi-direct comparison, I just can;t comment on it because I haven`t used it. I can say that White Diamond topped with Natty`s Red looks really awesome on unprepped (non-polished) white.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Thread Information