Post Thanks / Like

Clear coat or my bad?

Howdy everybody: Need some professional guidance.

As a few of the longer term members know, I have a roadster that is shot in HOK Black. What a dumb pick that was. Anyway, I got on the PB train and have been quite happy with the material. I have really only done two complete work ups due to some other issues with the car that involved covering the fenders and accessing the engine.

Over the winter the paint has collected the typical mars that black does. I am however starting to think that my clear coat is extremely soft. There were problems when the car was shot and the clear was re-shot. The painter said that somehow the wrong clear was used.

I am getting the car ready for its first show. I did the following paint work up.

Worked from SSR 2.5 (Spot work with 3.0. ) down to SSR 1.0 with PC.. Worked all mars out.

Applied Black Hole with PC. Removed via microfiber.

Applied Natties Blue Wax by hand and finished with microfiber.

Car is black water. Untill I drag a finger accross it. That is all it takes to develop what I then have to hit with Black Hole again to hide.

Is this the clear coat? Is this to be expected? Do I need to apply a sealer? Do I need to go to church?

Black is tough, but this clear coat is beginning to make me suspect.

Input is appreciated.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear coat or my bad?

Sounds like the clearcoat is pretty soft. Also, stop dragging things across the finish!!!
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a material that I can apply to put a "harder" finish on it? It is really difficult to live with in its current condition.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt it. Although thew one thing that comes to ind would be the Optimum spray on coating. I don`t have any experience or knowledge about it, but they are sponsors here. Maybe you should direct them the question via PM or over in their sub-forum.

Black with a soft clearcoat - I imagine that would be tough to live with.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

You have a very soft clear and dragging anything on it other than MF is causing marring.

There is nothing that I am aware of that you can put on to harden the clear.

You might try using a sealant after you`ve done your black hole application...the sealant is more durable and MIGHT help to reduce the marring...I can`t say for sure but without seeing this one in person its going to be hard and say for sure
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Man I figured that was the problem but wanted to get some expert input. This thing is going to have to be re cleared. The job is about a year old now. I have sun cooked it, prayed over it, etc. Me and Mr. Painter are going to have to have a discussion. This was a very expensive paint job.

I will contact the recommended vendor and see what may be possible.

Im thinking that Acrylic Latex in a Flat white, via 3/4" nap roller would be an improvement to my mental health.

In my earlier life, I shot the original Du Pont Imron for about a year. This was when the Polyurethanes were just getting to market. The clear, although would layout rough then flow and had its own hassles, was harder than this by 2x.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

What a drag.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely have some words with the painter ... a new paint finish should be easy to maintain not a headache
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

When clear is shot it needs a certain amount of activator in it. This is a lot like the hardener that`s added to most paints, especially single stage paint. Without it, it will never cure right and will most likely cause things like this to happen. I`m not saying this is what`s going on with yours..nobody will know except the painter, but it sure sounds like a corner was cut somewhere. No clear coat should even remotely be damaged just from touching it, weather it was the right or wrong one for that specific basecoat.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I was initially concerned, but figured it would cook after 90 days or so. It is just a year and it has not done a thing. When I was to pick the car up from the paint work last April, the painter said that they had accidentally shot the wrong clear so there would be a week of sanding and re clearing. My bologna alarm was ringing, but what to do? I figured to give it time and hope for the best. Sometimes that works, sometimes not so much. I believe that PPG Global Spec was the clear that was used.

At least I can fight back a little in the mean time. I can get it really nice with the PB products. I just cant touch it for any reason, exactly as Beemerboy said, with anything but microfiber. Oh this sucks bad.

Thread Information