Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you remove lug nuts without damaging

I don`t own any of the torque sticks but I have seen them used.

I have a Snap-On torque wrench and I would like to get the chance to check a wheel after they use those torque stick to see how accurate they really are.
    I guess I`m old school I will stay with my hand operated torque wrench I know it works

I can see it at a tire shop but I only remove my wheels once a year so my method works fine for me.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    I don`t own any of the torque sticks but I have seen them used.

I have a Snap-On torque wrench and I would like to get the chance to check a wheel after they use those torque stick to see how accurate they really are.
    I guess I`m old school I will stay with my hand operated torque wrench I know it works

I can see it at a tire shop but I only remove my wheels once a year so my method works fine for me.
    The tire shop I go to eveidently shares your concern about the "torque stick". They don`t rely on them for the final tightening. They always hand torque them after using the impact wrench.

A little off-topic, but......
    Are the torque wrenches from Harbor Freight, Advance Auto. etc. as accurate as the more expensive ones?
    For that matter, are any/all of them accurate?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    The tire shop I go to eveidently shares your concern about the "torque stick". They don`t rely on them for the final tightening. They always hand torque them after using the impact wrench.

Are the torque wrenches from Harbor Freight, Advance Auto. etc. as accurate as the more expensive ones?

You`re right. A good shop will have a set of pre-set torque wrenches to use for final tightening. The torque sticks are accurate +/- 10% which will not affect wheel retention, or rotor warping at all. Regardless of which technique is used, corrosion can ALWAYS weld a wheel on even if it was properly torqued and left on long enough. It can also make them fall off. Corrosion between the rim seat and the hub can loosen up creating a gap between the two resulting in losing a wheel. Chrysler actually had a tech service bulletin noting this on their M class cars, Sebrings, etc.

As for the cheaper torque wrenches, they work fine, but aren`t as accurate as the more expensive ones which are accurate within 5% in many cases.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Leegr View Post
    One way to try (not perfect, but cheap) is to wrap the nuts with tape. Thin enough to still fit the socket over, yet it protects (a little) from scratching.

I haven`t done this, but I know of some who have. YMMV.
    Thats what I do! Works like a charm!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post

Charles I think the cheap torque wrench may be like cheap MF towels some are ok some are not.
    I don`t use mine a lot but I have it calibrated every few years.
    I would prefer a cheap torque wrench over using a air impact without a torque stick on it.

That is what I see around here at gas stations they just hammer it on and drop the jack.
    I avoid those places when ever I can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information