Post Thanks / Like

Dirt Devil - Purpose For Pets (carpet cleaner)

The name of this little carpet cleaner is deceiving as it does a number on pet stains as well as automotive carpet. I picked it up at Stark`s Vacuum (local Portland store) after a fruitless search for the Bissell AutoCare Pro-Heat. For $99.95, this sucker has so far earned an A+ in my book. The collection tank does not fill quickly, a common complaint I`ve heard about the Bissell models. My one complaint is that it doesn`t get the mats completely dry. It doesn`t leave them sopping wet, either so five minutes in the sun and they`re good to go. That`s more than acceptable in my book.

As a test, I pulled out the carpeted floor mats for my dad`s `07 Acura RL. These mats are only used during the summer and are stored the rest of the time when he puts the rubber ones in for the wet season.

The results are astonishing.

The unit itself; it`s pretty light (I`d say no more than 4 pounds) and does a damn good job. The collection tanks are large but the hose is pretty short.

The bottom mat was not cleaned and was more of a brown black. The upper one is completely dry.

The collection tank water after all four mats.

And the front mats...

All I can say is I`m glad to have this little bugger in my arsenal. Carpet cleaning is something my regulars have been clamoring for years for. Now I can finally deliver.
    2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - Harbor Gray

Even sometimes I, in a moment of what could only be described as pure sanity, question the rationality of this obsession.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dirt Devil - Purpose For Pets (carpet cleaner)

Are you heating your water? This will be a help.

What are you using for your "shampoo"? A good Traffic Lane Cleaner (TLC) is a good option. You can spray this with a pump-up sprayer.

I highly recommend you pick up an All Fiber Rinse product to help you get the cleaner/soaps rinsed. That is key to avoid re-soiling.

Does that machine have a higher "lift" factor than a good wet/dry vac?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Are you heating your water? This will be a help.

What are you using for your "shampoo"? A good Traffic Lane Cleaner (TLC) is a good option. You can spray this with a pump-up sprayer.

I highly recommend you pick up an All Fiber Rinse product to help you get the cleaner/soaps rinsed. That is key to avoid re-soiling.

Does that machine have a higher "lift" factor than a good wet/dry vac?
    The guy at the vacuum store was a huge help. The stuff I`m using is called HydrOxi Pro that uses no soap. It`s a crystal cleaner or at least that`s what the bottle and the store guy said and it does say `Traffic Lane Pre-Spray` on the package.

I`ll be breaking the machine in on an abused `07 Toyota Camry Hybrid come next weekend and I`ll let you know how the lift compares to a shop vac.

Even sometimes I, in a moment of what could only be described as pure sanity, question the rationality of this obsession.

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you compared this to the Bissell at all? I am at a crossroads at whether to try the Bissell or this unit. My local (trusted) vacuum store thinks this unit would be terrific for this kind of work. He is a Bissell authorized repair facility and they had a LGM on the bench today when I went in to buy my new Shop Vac. He says the most common repair on the LGM is the heater. It gets clogged, and they have to replace them. He said to either get it without heat, only use water in the unit, or thoroughly flush the thing after each use.

I intend to extract with the ShopVac anyway, so I just need something that will help get the carpets cleaned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PerroneFord View Post
    Have you compared this to the Bissell at all? I am at a crossroads at whether to try the Bissell or this unit. My local (trusted) vacuum store thinks this unit would be terrific for this kind of work. He is a Bissell authorized repair facility and they had a LGM on the bench today when I went in to buy my new Shop Vac. He says the most common repair on the LGM is the heater. It gets clogged, and they have to replace them. He said to either get it without heat, only use water in the unit, or thoroughly flush the thing after each use.

I intend to extract with the ShopVac anyway, so I just need something that will help get the carpets cleaned.
    I haven`t compared them side-by-side but in hindsight, I think this was the better buy. My mom had a Bissell many years ago and the damn thing NEVER worked. Personally, I`d go with this; you won`t be disappointed. Why worry about the heater when you can pour hot water into the tank?

I really like this unit for many reasons but one of the ones that stands out most is the fact that the extraction chute on the handle is clear. This way you get to watch the dirt shoot away and for somebody like me, it`s a ton of fun.

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like

The Bissell heated unit can raise the temps about 25F over what is poured in. That can make a pretty nice difference. I guess I`ll have to dedicate a cheap electric teapot to extraction duty now!

I`m so conflicted. I guess I shouldn`t fret for $100. If it won`t get it done on the carpets that well, at least I can get the upholstery in good shape. Maybe I`ll see if I can get the guy to let me try the unit. Is the hose long enough to put it in the seat and still reach the carpet? Basically, can I put it in the drivers seat and still reach under the pedals?

Thread Information