Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum
Go Back   Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum > Autopia Car Care Guide To Detailing > Auto Detailing 101
Auto Detailing 101 Whether you are a professional or a do-it-yourself car owner this is the place to go for the basics of automotive detailing.

» Car Care Brands

(#1) Old
300A_FTW is starting to get a good reputation around here.

Exclamation Best Wax for Black Paint? - 04-02-2009, 12:37 AM

Alright,
the reason I joined here.

Best way to make black paint look new again?

(#2) Old
Ford Fanatic
sfu7274456 would be a good candidate for mayor of Autopiaforums.com.

Re: Best Wax for Black Paint? - 04-02-2009, 12:59 AM

Lot of the guys swear by Poorboys. Great products and very good prices. Don't know condition of the paint or what tools you have.

But I would first wash. Then clay bar the whole vehicle, probably a lot of contaminants. Then a swirl remover on a PC, Followed by Poorboys Black Hole Glaze on the PC. Lastly a polish or wax. Really hard to give you a definitive answer without seeing the vehicle and knowing what you have to work with.

(#3) Old

Re: Best Wax for Black Paint? - 04-02-2009, 01:11 AM

I have limited equipment.but do have access to a buffer.
What else would I need?

Heres the car.
Minor swirls.
Thin paint as per peoples past expirences with early build MM.

(#4) Old
"Luck" Residue of design
tuscarora dave Can Make Rust Shinetuscarora dave Can Make Rust Shinetuscarora dave Can Make Rust Shinetuscarora dave Can Make Rust Shinetuscarora dave Can Make Rust Shinetuscarora dave Can Make Rust Shinetuscarora dave Can Make Rust Shinetuscarora dave Can Make Rust Shinetuscarora dave Can Make Rust Shinetuscarora dave Can Make Rust Shine

Re: Best Wax for Black Paint? - 04-02-2009, 05:16 AM

that is a cool car, If It were mine I would invest in a poorboys world porter cable kit from detailcity.com as all that you would really need would be contained in the kit. I would add to this purchase a tub of natty's red. It looks like you are in a rough part of town. TD

(#5) Old
Founder Poorboy's World
Poorboy Can Make Rust ShinePoorboy Can Make Rust ShinePoorboy Can Make Rust ShinePoorboy Can Make Rust ShinePoorboy Can Make Rust ShinePoorboy Can Make Rust ShinePoorboy Can Make Rust ShinePoorboy Can Make Rust ShinePoorboy Can Make Rust ShinePoorboy Can Make Rust ShinePoorboy Can Make Rust Shine

Re: Best Wax for Black Paint? - 04-02-2009, 07:07 AM

you have many options, but if you have thin paint be careful polishing by machine. You would want to use chemical polish vs a mechanical stay away from cutting pads if you do use a machine ... you will also want to use a glaze and then top it with wax/and or a sealant

life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail .. poorboy@poorboysworld.com

(#6) Old
Wax Waster
Ronkh Can Make Rust ShineRonkh Can Make Rust ShineRonkh Can Make Rust ShineRonkh Can Make Rust ShineRonkh Can Make Rust ShineRonkh Can Make Rust ShineRonkh Can Make Rust ShineRonkh Can Make Rust ShineRonkh Can Make Rust ShineRonkh Can Make Rust ShineRonkh Can Make Rust Shine

Re: Best Wax for Black Paint? - 04-02-2009, 07:56 AM

Great car !!!

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It's good to be da King !!!

(#7) Old
Scott P Can Make Rust ShineScott P Can Make Rust ShineScott P Can Make Rust ShineScott P Can Make Rust ShineScott P Can Make Rust ShineScott P Can Make Rust ShineScott P Can Make Rust Shine

Re: Best Wax for Black Paint? - 04-02-2009, 08:35 AM

Poorboy's Polish with Carnauba - Blue is my favorite all in one for black paint. It works great by hand or machine. Top with Poorboy's EX or Natty's Blue Paste Wax for an even better look and protection.

"The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

(#8) Old
Take Luck!
tmacsad Can Make Rust Shinetmacsad Can Make Rust Shinetmacsad Can Make Rust Shinetmacsad Can Make Rust Shinetmacsad Can Make Rust Shinetmacsad Can Make Rust Shinetmacsad Can Make Rust Shine

Re: Best Wax for Black Paint? - 04-02-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
Poorboy's Polish with Carnauba - Blue is my favorite all in one for black paint. It works great by hand or machine. Top with Poorboy's EX or Natty's Blue Paste Wax for an even better look and protection.
I agree with with Scott P ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I do what I do, when I can do it...

(#9) Old

Re: Best Wax for Black Paint? - 04-02-2009, 11:12 AM

LOL
I'm not in a bad part of town.
It was part of a photo contest.

Do you guys have any links for the products mentioned.

(#10) Old

Re: Best Wax for Black Paint? - 04-02-2009, 11:16 AM

I should tell you.

The Marauder is a show car.
It's rare therefore it goes to alot of shows.

I would LOVE to get a show car detail on it. Any tips on how to get the paint great is welcome.
I can already see I am in the right place for this.

(#11) Old
Just One More Coat
Beemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust Shine

Re: Best Wax for Black Paint? - 04-02-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
I agree on all parts here but I would add PB...black hole after the P-w-C...black paint is going to have swirls no matter what and the glaze will fill those in and add a bunch of POP!!

Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave's Detailing
Sonoma County, CA

(#12) Old
The Man Who Knows The Man
Mr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust Shine

Re: Best Wax for Black Paint? - 04-02-2009, 11:40 AM

Welcome to the City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
you have many options, but if you have thin paint be careful polishing by machine. You would want to use chemical polish vs a mechanical stay away from cutting pads if you do use a machine ... you will also want to use a glaze and then top it with wax/and or a sealant
Good advice.

I also agree that this just might be the perfect situation for a glaze followed by a wax. (That is following the appropriate paint cleaning prep work already mentioned).

(#13) Old

Re: Best Wax for Black Paint? - 04-02-2009, 11:42 AM

What is a good clay bar?

And what the hell do I do about the dust on it at shows lol.

(#14) Old
The Man Who Knows The Man
Mr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust ShineMr. Clean Can Make Rust Shine

Re: Best Wax for Black Paint? - 04-02-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300A_FTW View Post
What is a good clay bar?

And what the hell do I do about the dust on it at shows lol.
Locally available:
Mother's claybar system
ClayMagic claybar system
Either will do the job.
Meguiar's has a clay product also on local shelves, but I have not used it.

Stand by with a bottle of QD and a MF towel.

(#15) Old
Larry A is a person that you can trust to wax your car!Larry A is a person that you can trust to wax your car!

Re: Best Wax for Black Paint? - 04-02-2009, 07:19 PM

Meguiars NXT2, or Poorboys Black Hole and EX or Natty Blue.