View Poll Results: Electronic Paint Gauge...Necessary or Un-Necessary?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes ...Most definitely

6 18.75%
  • No... over kill

26 81.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Electronic Paint gauges...Necessary or Un-necessary?

Since this has been a topic I have been reading about on this and other forums I have to ask ...How necessary is a paint thickness gauge in detailing in general?

I am an enthusiast that really enjoys the look of a shined vehicle. I am also guilty of polishing way more than necessary in the years past. Never during that time did I use a paint gauge to test the paint. I am also guilty of burning an edge(improper technique was the reason not thickness of paint) on my hood with a rotary while correcting. Consequently, I have been using products to cover the swirls instead of a weekly regimen of polishing out self induced swirls as I did for several years.

Does anyone have an "opinion" as to how this kind of implement would be of help to me in my detailing process? List the advantages of this gauge. I am interested in the "need" of such an expenditure for both the enthusiast and the professional.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Electronic Paint gauges...Necessary or Un-necessary?

I can`t help but wonder how `we` got along before technology when people ask if things are necessary. How long have paint thickness gauges been around? As long as people have been polishing vehicles? I don`t know.

Somehow we managed to do things without relying on technology before it came along.

Post Thanks / Like

I am an enthusiast who does cars for an extra source of money but not a sole income...I also am guilty of probably over polishing my cars, and like you have replaced polishing with filling products such as the new Poorboys Blackhole and White Diamond...

I have spent quite a bit of money now on detailing products and equipment, however all the equipment and products I have bought in the end do enhance or correct the cars appearance...where as the paint gauge does not do that...

I can see where it could be a helpful tool, especially on some higher end cars that have some difficult areas that may require a a heavy polishing or even wetsanding...

I am not sure how much this guage even costs, but I can`t imagine its cheap, and does the software come with it? Also how long does it take to do all that added investigation? I guess in the end for me it would be a neat thing to have, but how much would I really use it? Do I really want to spend that kind of money on it?
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    I am an enthusiast who does cars for an extra source of money but not a sole income...I also am guilty of probably over polishing my cars, and like you have replaced polishing with filling products such as the new Poorboys Blackhole and White Diamond...

I have spent quite a bit of money now on detailing products and equipment, however all the equipment and products I have bought in the end do enhance or correct the cars appearance...where as the paint gauge does not do that...

I can see where it could be a helpful tool, especially on some higher end cars that have some difficult areas that may require a a heavy polishing or even wetsanding...

I am not sure how much this guage even costs, but I can`t imagine its cheap, and does the software come with it? Also how long does it take to do all that added investigation? I guess in the end for me it would be a neat thing to have, but how much would I really use it? Do I really want to spend that kind of money on it?
    Your questions are of the same tenor as the ones running through my mind while creating this thread.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used one before. It was pretty cool and nifty information, but since I have never ever polished through the paint on a car even without the benefit of this device, I really didn`t find that it was any use. It certianly makes you look professional though. I think that using one definitely increases your knowledge and understanding about what paint polishing actually does and the differences between different painting processes depending on the make/model of the car, but beyond that education I really didn`t feel that it impacted my process at all. I am always careful on aftermarket paint and edges and all those things we know to be careful around. I don`t need a paint thickness gauge to tell me that polishing the edge of the hood scoop could result in burning the paint. It is great for the education though. I sold mine awhile back, but I`m thinking of getting another one like a Pro Gauge II just for comparing the paint on new cars compared to older cars. I am suspicious of the paint quality these days and I suspect it is much thinner than it was in the past.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like

What I would think would be interesting would be to take a reading before, polish the paint and then take a reading after, get a true feel of what you removed.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW... This site has about the lowest price I have found on the Pro Gauge II. Coupon code `REDTAG` gives you free shipping. I just put in an order for one, so we`ll see how it works out this time. I`ve followed a few on ebay, but they always go for more than $50, so this seems like a good deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how much the one calgary uses is???

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman View Post
    FWIW... This site has about the lowest price I have found on the Pro Gauge II. Coupon code `REDTAG` gives you free shipping. I just put in an order for one, so we`ll see how it works out this time. I`ve followed a few on ebay, but they always go for more than $50, so this seems like a good deal.

Interesting. I`m guessing that pen is based on magnetism? It lets go once you distance yourself from the metal and the slider comes out as you pull away?

Those digital ones I know are on the `obscene` side of pricing.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I`ve read, the electronic ones are great because they can measure the material on ABS and all the other materials that this one isn`t going to work on, but on metal surfaces they are just as accurate as the digital ones. Sort of like the difference between a manual tire gauge and a digital one. One is just easier and a little more useful on all surfaces not limiting it to metal ones. I have seen the digital ones run $300+, so I`m pretty happy with a $50 one.

Post Thanks / Like

Digital PTGs for ferrous and non ferrous metals ~$400 - 800
    Digital PTGs for plastic and composites ~$1,200 - $2,000

I still haven`t decided if I want a PTG or not, at this point in time. Since after getting the readings it is still a guessing game on how much clear is left, and how much you are able to safely remove. Many say the protective properties of CC are in the top 3rd of the clear, so even if you don`t go completely through the clear, you may have polished through the protective portions of the clear ... which could result in premature failures. But again even with a typical PTG you wouldn`t know how far into the clear you have gone. I think there are some that actually tell you how thick all of the individual layers are but those are very expensive as well.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the electronic ones run from about $350 up to close to $2000.

FWIW, I know a lot of people in the car business and I have only seen one person use a paint thickness gauge.
    That person does inspections of vehicles for dealers purchasing used cars at the auto auction. He has a bagful of instruments and checks paint thickness as well as a lot of other things.
    If I remember and see him next week, I`ll ask him about the paint thickness differences on today`s cars.
    I will also ask my friend in the body shop if I remember.
    The $50 seems like overkill for a hobby detailer, but might be worth it for the peace of mind for someone in the business.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Personally the $50 is worth it to me just to know the reason for some of the discoloration in the hood of my pilot. I`m curious to know if I`ve got thin paint or if it is just standard discoloration brought out by the products I`m using on the surface. I definitely think it will be valuable as an enthusiast. Keep in mind that we are living in a time where a bottle of Wolfgang Sealant is $35 bucks, and that won`t even last forever. This little tool will be around long after I exhaust every product in my garage. And it would have a resale value when I get tired of it, so I think it will be worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m along the lines with Stephan and others here...it would be an essential tool if I was wet sanding or working on cars that I felt where questionable in paint thickness that I had to do some heavy work on...

For the cost of the gauge that I have seen, there are a lot better ways to spend this cash for what I am doing as a detailer.

If I had the extra cash then yes it would be cool to have one and play around with, but in all the years that I have detailed cars I have burned threw the paint only a few times to the point I can`t even recall it.

Most all the cars that I work on are the newer ones clear coated and have plenty of paint to play with so for me it would be overkill!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    I`m along the lines with Stephan and others here...it would be an essential tool if I was wet sanding or working on cars that I felt where questionable in paint thickness that I had to do some heavy work on...

For the cost of the gauge that I have seen, there are a lot better ways to spend this cash for what I am doing as a detailer.
    Exactly...like I said, if I could put the paint gauge against the paint and it would not only tell me the paints depth but also remove the swirl marks then its worth the money, but for $2K I can get my Metabo polisher, and enough polish and MFT`s to last me a long time...

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information