Post Thanks / Like

Custom `show` cars and bad paint...

Okay...as you all know I`m an avid fan of `custom` cars and have had several of my own over the years. In all my years of attending car shows...I`d always look at the `graphics` and the `paint work` quality, but never really looked `into` the paint for swirls and such. To me, being a graphic designer, the overall look of the car turned me on more than the detail jobs themselves.

Well, I attended a car show with my Dad on saturday and we looked around and now that I`m becoming more `detail savvy`, I was totally stunned at how crappy the paint was maintained on the majority of the `show` cars. I mean...many of these guys have way more money in their cars than both of my cars combined, but the paintjobs were maintained so poorly on most of them. It just really shocked me at how so many of these people looked to be like I once was...throw some wax on her and clean it well...but didn`t take any time in really `prepping` the paint surface for wax.

And the thing that drives me most crazy is the fact that so many people don`t even vacuum their cars out or clean the tires or anything like that. They`ll spend hours wiping on the paint with wax and QD`s, but focus no attention on the `little details` that to me really make or break a car.

Anyway...just thought I`d share that. If I was more skilled with my PC I`d have loved to offer to detail some of those cars.

Any of you get agitated at poorly detailed `show cars`??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Custom `show` cars and bad paint...

That`s funny you bring this up...we just a has a car show here the other day, with a varying range of ages...including newer sports cars...

I could not believe how much orange peel and swirl marks were all over these cars...while there were some that needed no work at all there was a mojority that could use a good going over.

And I tried so hard not to tell everyone that I saw this...I didn`t want to seem rude but more along the lines of informative, but alot of people get set in their ways and don`t want to hear anything different...

Case in point...

I saw a black 1970 Dodge Charger RT...Black...and I watched in horror as the owner was waxing this car that looked like he just took it through a dirt road. I tried to tell him that what he was doing was going to cause swirl marks and scratches in the paint...he then lectured me that I can`t tell him how to clean a car as he had been doing this for over 30 years and as I saw the sun hit his hood and it looked like a shiney swirl fest ...I smiled and said yeah I can tell...

I never used to pay attention but now I can`t help it...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes as someone who`s done shows for over 20+ years you will see some of the rarest and coolest vehicles covered with swirls and scratches. Some will QD with rags and bath towels. I`ve even seen people QD with paper towels and napkins ...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    you will see some of the rarest and coolest vehicles covered with swirls and scratches. ...
    And then they brag about their 15 or 20 coats of sealant over those swirl and scratches.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    And then they brag about their 15 or 20 coats of sealant over those swirl and scratches.

Charles
    please don`t get me started

Get over it and move on. Bellydawg's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also add that a lot of the cars with the heavy graphics tend to not have completely straight body panels. It`s amazing the amount spent on the paint and crazy graphics, yet see waves in the long body panels.
    Jim
    Facts are not the truth, but only indicate where the truth may lie.

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was part of a car show this last weekend too. My daily driver had a better finish than any of the vehicles there. They had custom paint jobs, so they got the awards, but I can`t tell you how many people came up to me and complimented my paint and most didn`t want to believe that it was a daily driver. I had to show one the odometer to get him to believe me. My finish is far from perfect, but it never gets neglected. It really saddens me to see some of these vehicles with $30K plus of modifications with neglected paint.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You expect it at some shows but it does amaze me at how bad some of the really expensive paint jobs look.

This reminds me, do any of you guys pay attention to paint finishes on cars in movies or TV? I can`t help myself, I always pay attention to whether a car is swirled up or not.

I`ve even caught myself rewinding a movie just to get a second look and cringe as if I saw something horrifying.

It`s pretty sad but when we`re watching a car chase and the car blows up or flips, instead of saying "wow what a great scene", I say "Did you see the swirls on that hood!"

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve even seen people QD with paper towels and napkins ...
    Whats wrong with that

I have gone to alot of shows with my dad over the years but I never looked at the finish because I didn`t work for Steve at that time and I just said wow what a cool looking car. Now going to shows with Steve I try to look around but we are always so busy at the stand. I usually get a chance to do a quick walk around and get back. If they think it looks good then that should be enough for them. We look at it in horror but they like it and isn`t that what really counts the most????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post

If they think it looks good then that should be enough for them. We look at it in horror but they like it and isn`t that what really counts the most????
    No it isn`t now go to bed you have finals in the morningand pallets in the afternoon

Post Thanks / Like

No it isn`t now go to bed you have finals in the morningand pallets in the afternoon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post

Charles
    Yeah...and thats probably the same guy that likes to brag that he has 10 coats of clear on his car. 10 coats of clear doesn`t mean crap if it`s hazy and swirly.

You can have a car with 2 coats of clear and if properly maintained and waxed can look `deeper` and `wetter` than 10 coats of clear anyday.

We have to educate these `lost` people...they`re destroying their cars with poor detailing practices.

Post Thanks / Like

Very few people that own show cars know how to detail them properly. People in general dont know how to detail cars. And they dont care.

Thread Information