Post Thanks / Like

How do I remove crazy amounts of swirl marks?

Hey everyone.

I`m detailing my car right now and taking a break, and was wondering, (this is only my 2nd time using my PC 7424.) how do I remove all those swirl marks off of my hood? Unfortunately, I have a black car so it`s way too revealing!

I went over the hood with a Poorboy`s SSR2.5 and an Edge 2000 Orange Pad @ Speed 6 and that seemed to do nothing so I tried switching it up to Poorboy`s SSR2.5 with an Edge 2000 Green Pad @ Speed 6 but that didn`t seem to do much either. Should I plan to buy SSR3? Also, I`m planning to go over the hood again with SSR1 and an Edge 2000 White Pad. I don`t think that will do much for the swirls though. Also, is there supposed to be a crazy amount of dusting after using polishing?

Also, I have some Poorboy`s Professional Polish but never tried using it yet. Do you think it`s strong enough to take out the swirls? If so, what pad would I use with it and at what speed?

What am I doing wrong?

Here`s some pictures after I tried the SSR2.5

Thanks a lot everyone!
    Your help is very appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I remove crazy amounts of swirl marks?

Your not doing anything wrong to speak of with the products and pads....how fast are you moving the PC over the car???...I work in small areas like a quarter of the hood at one time...make sure that you go over the area slowly and work the product until it disappears..I mean go over the area in different directions about 4 times or so...heat is what makes the product work...this allow it to get hot and break down...that should help to get the swirls out...Also based on your pics it looks like you might need a rotary to get those out....that`s not saying that if you work the pc slowly that you won`t be able to get most out that I am see in these pics
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Try what Beemer said and it sounds also like you are using too much product and not working it long enough if you are getting a lot of dusting and not enough results. The PC is not a rotary and it takes time to remove swirls and imperfections.

Have you looked at this thread? http://www.detailcity.org/forums/poo...mount-use.html
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I read that thread. I`m using about 75% of what`s pictured for half my hood.

I`m going to try doing a quarter of the hood and going slowly and hopefully that`ll help.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Try this thread. Very good PC how-to video. http://www.detailcity.org/forums/car...light=pc+video

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, don`t give up after just one pass of each product. Sometimes it takes two or three passes to get to the point where you start to see results.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Your not doing anything wrong to speak of with the products and pads....how fast are you moving the PC over the car???...I work in small areas like a quarter of the hood at one time...make sure that you go over the area slowly and work the product until it disappears..I mean go over the area in different directions about 4 times or so...heat is what makes the product work...this allow it to get hot and break down...that should help to get the swirls out...Also based on your pics it looks like you might need a rotary to get those out....that`s not saying that if you work the pc slowly that you won`t be able to get most out that I am see in these pics
    Ditto Beemerboy : you may be going over the car too quickly. Try using a QD spray to lubricate the pad, and then squirt a generous amount of polish to the pad. Only working on a small area (approx 2` x 2`), make a couple of passes at speed 2-3 to spread the polish over the area working very slowly (approx 1" per second), then crank it up to speed 5-6 to break down the polish. Now, instead of buffing the polish off with an MF cloth, spray the pad again with the QD and start back at speed 2-3 and repeat above.

THEN buff the polish off with an MF cloth.

Slowly doing it is really the key to being able to heat the polish, and break it down for you to be able to get rid off the swirls.

Patience is your best friend

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ Bingo! Patience is required for sure. You may need several passes for it to work. Especially with a PC, it doesn`t generate as much friction heat as a rotary. But then again, a rotary if not used properly can be your worst nightmare.
    2008 Chevy Aveo LS Sedan - Fire Red

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I went over the hood slowly and putting more effort and time and it turned out much nicer. I can barely see any swirl marks now unless it`s in direct direct sunlight, then there would be the tiny light swirls. I`m satisfied with it though. The only problem now is that my trim moldings are dulled and faded. Boo.

Thanks for the help and replies!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakl View Post
    Yeah, I went over the hood slowly and putting more effort and time and it turned out much nicer. I can barely see any swirl marks now unless it`s in direct direct sunlight, then there would be the tiny light swirls. I`m satisfied with it though. The only problem now is that my trim moldings are dulled and faded. Boo.

Thanks for the help and replies!
    You will need to go over again! Seems like it needs some TLC!

Dull trim? PB trim restorer works like a charm!
    2008 Chevy Aveo LS Sedan - Fire Red

Post Thanks / Like

to reduce dusting i use a 50/50 mixture of optimum polish & poorboys 2.5, add it last longer

Thread Information