Post Thanks / Like

Wax In The Rock Holes and The Likes

My black BMW has quite a few small to very little rock chip holes on the hood and front grill area...They are not that visible unless I put product on it, then they fill up and stick out like a sore thumb....I have been toying with what to do about this, repaint is one but I can`t afford it and don`t think its worth it, based on the year and mileage....So the next solution is how can I remove the wax?

I decided to try some PB TR to see how that would work...it took all the wax out of the holes but removed the rest of the wax at the same time..I`m guessing...I took the oily mess off the car with S&W and QD....that area looked great as I had just removed all the swirls so it looked clean no wax build-up in the holes...I have to now work on getting a method that will remove the wax from the holes but leave the rest of the wax on the car....if I had to present the car for sale and wanted to make it look good this would be one way of covering up the amount of rock chips holes or not drawing attention to them...what are your thoughts?
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax In The Rock Holes and The Likes

This is a great question, one that I hope someone has the answer to. The front bumper and lower portion of my Murano is covered with small rockchips. Almost like it was sand blasted from a distance. I am going to try what you did so they are not quite as visible.

I still believe that I am going to have to have it painted, because looking at it is driving me nuts. I hate seeing the rest of my car with a nice deep finish and my bumper and hood like like it does.

Post Thanks / Like

there is that wax gone stuff...i cant remeber what its called but it removes wax quickly. I would put a little on a q-tip and swab each hole, this will help prevent the wax comming off the pait but still clean out the holes

edit: the stuff is wax blaster
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryDetail View Post
    there is that wax gone stuff...i cant remeber what its called but it removes wax quickly. I would put a little on a q-tip and swab each hole, this will help prevent the wax comming off the pait but still clean out the holes

edit: the stuff is wax blaster
    CD

I have so many that its ridiculous to think that I would be with a Q-Tip doing this....I will however have a look at wax blaster

Thanks

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    This is a great question, one that I hope someone has the answer to. The front bumper and lower portion of my Murano is covered with small rockchips. Almost like it was sand blasted from a distance. I am going to try what you did so they are not quite as visible.

I still believe that I am going to have to have it painted, because looking at it is driving me nuts. I hate seeing the rest of my car with a nice deep finish and my bumper and hood like like it does.
    In my case once I have the swirls removed and polished smooth...to remove the product from the holes would make the whole car look so much better...I could live without the protection to for go looking at those wax filled spots

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    ........to remove the product from the holes would make the whole car look so much better.........
    After you get the wax cleaned out you might want to try a clear sealer like Z-CS or the new Opti-Seal. Both go on clear (they look like water) and are very easy to apply. Between the two, with limited experience with both, I like the Opti-Seal a little better. On my silver vehicle it had more gloss, looked wetter, and had more slickness. YMMV

John

Post Thanks / Like

only because your car is black i had a thought, this will sound crazy but may be woth a try, paste shoe polish . fill each hole with a q-tip or with a cloth wrapped around your index finger, go across each one and after it drys gentlly wipe off the excess without pulling the polish out of the holes. yeah i know it sounds nuts but it don`t cost nothin to try. hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the problem he is having is the same as mine, its just there is so many little nicks that it would take forever to clean and or fill.

I actually tried a companies product (I don`t remember their name) which they would basically give you some paint cleaner to first clean the area or wax, then they gave you a matched paint small container of your paint. They would have you dab it on to a paper cloth and rub it over the area. After it dries they would have you go over it with a polish.

Needless to say it didn`t work, luckily it was only $40. But I am so desperate to not look at these annoying nicks in my paint that I am willing to do anything...however it looks like I will have to shell out alot of money to get this painted.

Jersey Devil Detailing
    Post Thanks / Like

i have the same problem with some little rock nicks ect on my trans am i beleive the only solution is to have it repainted as i cant find anyway to get it to work... luckily i dont have as many as u guys i dont think but the ones i do are on the front edge of the bumper/hood so it is extremely annoying

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here`s an idea for you Dave (and others) try using either Spray and Wipe or Spray & Gloss with your finishing pad at a moderate speed. It will clean and buff the chips out without removing the rest of the wax on your finish
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    Here`s an idea for you Dave (and others) try using either Spray and Wipe or Spray & Gloss with your finishing pad at a moderate speed. It will clean and buff the chips out without removing the rest of the wax on your finish
    Thanks Steve will give this a try tonight...what`s Spray & Wipe?

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Thanks Steve will give this a try tonight...what`s Spray & Wipe?
    I just ran out...and just ordered some 5 minutes ago...I plan on trying it also...

Let me know your results...

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ll have to give that a try also. I have black paint that has been speckled by the filthy highways here.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Q-Tips and IRA mixed 50/50 has always worked for me. This way you can control the area of wax removal witht the Q-Tip.

Post Thanks / Like

I have sample problem on my black Porsche 911. I have used Turtle Wax colored wax and it works okay.

Thread Information