Post Thanks / Like

Alcoa Aluminum Rim Back to New

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/det...light=aluminum
    Here is a link to the post i`m following up on that I started about this project earlier.
    This project started because one of the aluminum rims on a semi had a crack and needed to be replaced. The other rims weren`t too far gone but they needed a polish to not look rediculous next to the shinny new alcoa rim.
    Starting off with a pic of the new and another of the old- both with fresh rubber.

Ok now to start off with the process. The rims were cleaned up with Truck and Trailer wash by Zep. Its a strong soap that WILL dull aluminum some but it does a good job of cleaning it up to prep for polishing. These rims had tar, and some road stripe paint on them but the pics are after it was all removed.
    When rims are farther gone than these I hit them with Zep alum. Its a strong acid that will dull the metal good. It workes at getting out all the grime from the pits and pores of rough aluminum.
    Since these wheels weren`t too bad i was able to use the yellow wheel with the green stainless steel specialized compound. As you can tell from many trial and error runs i`ve come up with some different combos than the manufacture advertises.

These pics show how the polish is applied to the wheel and the general way this type of polishing wheel is used. Its a two hand project once you get going so i don`t have any in action. Its also quite dirty so i didn`t take the gloves off and get in there with the camera in between steps. I finished up with a white (no cut wheel) and white rouge. They were cleanedup with the Long Haul polish by hand by a terry towel as pictured in the post linked at the begining of this post.
    Here is a before of the old rim

This is the after- Notice the alcoa decal got the color polished off of it.
    Here is one of a similar angle for the fresh out of box Rim.

A couple more befores- trying to show clarity

Afters of the one I did first then the New one

Finally there are two outside ones. The rim that is mounted on the truck is the new alcoa and the one leaning next is one being followed from start to finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alcoa Aluminum Rim Back to New

Awesome write up! I think that your polished one looks better than the new one! Now how would you work the back portion of the wheel where the lugs are? I assume that you wouldn`t use the polisher in there... would you? That part gives me a really hard time. Do you have any special tricks to this? One more question, where do you get your Busch products from? Right from the company? OK I lied, How long did it take you to get to the finnished product? Awesome job!
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

I am extremely extremely interested in this post.. Could you post up a link of where exactly you found these products? Thanks and awesome job!

Post Thanks / Like

Budman3- The easiest way to polish the parts around the lugs is if the wheels are off the truck. Then yes I do use the machine to polish those parts. I try to cover everything by machine to cut down on "elbow grease" used. It isn`t easy to get it all perfect with the machine. When you use this type of wheel on edge it basicly pushed a line of polish and oxidation along the leading edge as the wheel spins. If you can`t push it along because of angles etc. it leaves a build up of back crap that has to be cleaned up by hand.
    I get the busch products from a large chrome shop for trucks that is local to me. I have yet to find it online. There are other products out there as well that i have used and they all seem to work to a degree. I wouldn`t say that busch is the only good stuff. I can`t think of the other brands i`ve used off hand, but one of the differences is the level of greasy or dry makeup of some brands. Both have thier tradeoffs. The dry is dusty and very dirty to work with (i posted a pic a while back of me totally black from this) and the greasy can get hot and leave deposits.
    I`m not sure how long this particular wheel took me but I usually average about an hour / rim once i start polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t used any products from online retailers as far as the wheels or rouge type polishes.
    I`m thinking about putting in an order with one company to try out anther style of wheel besided the airways i currently use.
    BTW--- edge company may be developing a new line of wheels for aluminum polishing. I`ve been working with them some now. I have another "prototype wheel to try out when i get home.
    If you look closely on the linked post at the top with the products--- the clean looking white wheel is one that was setup on the edge system. (not for sale, just something i`ve been working with adam on developing for his patented quicktach system.)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow they look really good, I know how big of a PIA truck rims can be. Have you found anything that works well for corrosion?
    These views on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated gibberish and in no way should be used to judge my IQ or mental state.

Thread Information