Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning the insides of wheels

Most of the cars I get have brake dust galore on the wheels, and on some cars the large spokes reveal the inside of the wheel. It bugs me to death to see that dirty, but wheel cleaner and apc don`t cut it. How do I get the entire inside of the wheel clean without having to take it off?
    2004 Silver Dodge Ram QuadCab
    Yeah, it`s got a Hemi.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning the insides of wheels

Depending on the shape/size of the slots on the wheel, you may have to try to rig up some tools with long handles. A car I previously owned had wheels with difficult-to-get-at insides. I used to use a long handled brush designed for cleaning home air conditioning units. I shopped around for the one with the softest bristles I could find and I still used to hold a MF over it with a rubber band or masking tape out of fear the bristles would be too coarse. With some APC sprayed on the insides, I agitated the insides of the wheels with this brush through the slots. It usually did the trick but I was on top of the wheels religiously.

Jacking up the car also allows more room to work with. I never did this myself because I used to clean so frequently, but for client vehicles it may be an option.

Also, if you`re willing to twist and contort yourself underneath the vehicle, ( I still do this, car not lifted) you may be able to access some of the insides of the wheels with the tradition types of wheel brushes; the Meguiars cone shaped wheel brush, for example. You might also be able to reach in there and clay once all the heavy gunk is cleaned off.

It can be an uncomfortable and dirty job. Charge accordingly.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a post on another forum about this exact thing. Cleaning the "barrels" from the outside of the wheel. I ordered a few things from the recommendations and this is what worked the best for me...the 16" wheel brush
    http://www.autogeek.net/derewiwhbr.html
    I also ordered this http://www.autogeek.net/wheelbrush.html ...it also works well but alittle thick to get between the calipers and wheels...if you have large rims it will not be an issue for you.

Post Thanks / Like

You could up your chemical strength and use more water pressure, however aggitation is always needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I will definitely try your recommendations.
    2004 Silver Dodge Ram QuadCab
    Yeah, it`s got a Hemi.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wkasak
    I had a post on another forum about this exact thing. Cleaning the "barrels" from the outside of the wheel. I ordered a few things from the recommendations and this is what worked the best for me...the 16" wheel brush
    http://www.autogeek.net/derewiwhbr.html
    I also ordered this http://www.autogeek.net/wheelbrush.html ...it also works well but alittle thick to get between the calipers and wheels...if you have large rims it will not be an issue for you.
    Those are nice.

That 16" one is along the lines of the brushes I had to settle for at the time. Mine are 24" long.

What I would like see, and am unaware of it is already made, is a brush head just like that can be unscrewed and placed on a considerably long handle.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I know while working on some cars Sean get`s down and dorty with his hands to reach the back sides of those spokes.

on my car the whole wheel gets taken off every 3-4 months and sealed up twice before going back on.so they stay really clean.

but on clients cars you get what you can and a little more... but i don`t take off the tires.

Thread Information