Post Thanks / Like

Question Stretched & burned windshield moldings

The cosmetic part that lies against the roof of my 2009 Nissan Altima was stretched and burned by a car wash company when they were doing a “hand wax” and used spinning foam applicators to apply the wax. I used a 3M Bondo product called Restore Black which contains dye among other ingredients to cover the burn. I was told by the official 3M Bondo rep that it would do no harm. It did such a good job of covering the burn that I used it on the rest of the windshield molding because I thought it was faded. The part of the molding that was stretched is now even more stretched, sticking up more and the whole cosmetic part of the molding is puckered across the entire length. I have since been told by the chemistry department of 3M automotive products that the Restore Black should never have been used on the molding due to ingredients such as ammonia, solvents, etc. in it.

I have discussed the situation with about six different windshield repair companies and also Nissan dealers. They all say the only way to replace the damaged molding is to remove the windshield since the molding is all one piece with a U shaped part that fits under and over the windshield and the cosmetic part that fits against the roof. However, they all advise to not do anything since taking out the windshield destroys the factory seal and the windshield will most likely break in the process.

I am therefore looking for an alternative fix. I doubt if anything can be done regarding the puckering, but I have been looking for an adhesive that will hold down the part that is stretched but not be so strong that it would damage the paint or cause a problem if the windshield ever had to be replaced I did find a product called VersaChem Flowable Silicone at auto parts stores. I talked to VersaChem Customer Service reps about it and they recommended it as the least aggressive product. However, it is actually a sealer intended to fix leaks not serve as an adhesive. I did try some experiments trying to simulate my car and it would hold plastic against metal somewhat, but it took little force to pull the plastic off the metal since the product is about like rubber cement. I doubt it would hold since I am using a pressure self service car wash since I cannot hand wash my car at my apartment complex. Also I have read that silicones will damage moldings.

Questions: 1. Does anyone have any comments about the Versachem and/or any suggestions about other adhesives that can be safely used? 2. Also, can the stretched part be trimmed without looking unsightly? I have been told the molding is a solid color all the way through, but I am not sure. 3. Will silicone damage the molding?
    Last edited by stsimon65; 03-28-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Change title

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alternative solutions stretched and burned windshield

You need to put up some pics on this to fully understand what`s your talking about. I`ve looked it up online and can`t see what your referred to
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am relatively new to Autopia and I could not find out how to attach pictures. I do have pictures from the top of the car which shows how it is sticking up, but they were taken by a friend with a camera phone and are not too clear. I do not own a digital camera or camera phone. Please tell me how to post the attach pictures to my post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stsimon65 View Post
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I am relatively new to Autopia and I could not find out how to attach pictures. I do have pictures from the top of the car which shows how it is sticking up, but they were taken by a friend with a camera phone and are not too clear. I do not own a digital camera or camera phone. Please tell me how to post the attach pictures to my post.
    No problem the pics have to be on your hard drive or on a photo site.

Scroll down to "manage attachments" click on that then click on browse, find the pic and set it in that area. The hit the upload button and wait until you see the links appear

Note you much set your web browser to allow pop up for this site.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Alternative solutions stretched and burned windshield

Thanks for the uploading pictures instructions. Please let me know if you can see the pictures okay. Like I said they are not that good, but you should be able to see the stretching over the right side of the roof.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

You could always get a piece of Vinyl cut and have it cover the molding, and have it just extend onto the paint a little. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Take it to a auto glass shop and have them look at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Alternative solutions stretched and burned windshield

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already taken it to four different auto glass companies and have discussed it over the phone with at least 2 – 3 others. They all say the only real solution is to remove the windshield and replace the molding. They also advice me not to do this since the windshield will not leak as is since the part I am talking about is only cosmetic, the windshield would likely break when it is removed, they cannot duplicate a factory installation since it is done by robots, not humans, etc. They also have no suggestions for any kind of mild adhesive that would hold it down where it is sticking up and not damage the paint and/or the molding or pull off the paint if the windshield ever did need to be replaced which is what I am looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Highrev1 View Post
    You could always get a piece of Vinyl cut and have it cover the molding, and have it just extend onto the paint a little. Just a thought.
    Highrev1

Thanks, but I really do not understand your suggestion. First it seems like the vinyl put over the molding would only make it look worse since the edges of the piece would show, it would make that part of the cosmetic part of the molding thicker than the rest. Also, I do not know what type of adhesive should be used on the vinyl since I do not know what the molding is made of and have been unsuccessful in finding exactly what the molding is made of in all my research (NissanUSA, windshield shops, online research, etc.). Finally the only ways that the vinyl and the molding is going to be held down is with an adhesive. As I said in another reply to another Autopia post I have already taken my car to four different auto glass companies and have discussed it over the phone with at least 3 – 3 others. They also have no suggestions for any kind of mild adhesive that would hold it down where it is sticking up and not damage the paint and/or the molding or pull off the paint if the windshield ever did need to be replaced which is what I am looking for. I also have talked over the phone with one of the top managers at 3M Auto Products and he said he had no suggestions for any sort of adhesive that would not cause damage to the molding and/or the paint since I cannot find out exactly what the molding is made out of.

Post Thanks / Like

If the damage is done by the car wash company, then their insurance should be liable for repairs.

As I see it. IMO. Have it replaced. I do not see any other option to repair it back to oem standards, etc.
    Mid-Michigan
    (Tri-Cities)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stsimon65 View Post
    Highrev1

Thanks, but I really do not understand your suggestion. First it seems like the vinyl put over the molding would only make it look worse since the edges of the piece would show, it would make that part of the cosmetic part of the molding thicker than the rest. Also, I do not know what type of adhesive should be used on the vinyl since I do not know what the molding is made of and have been unsuccessful in finding exactly what the molding is made of in all my research (NissanUSA, windshield shops, online research, etc.). .
    Sorry for the confusion....I am not talking about interior car vinyl. I am talking about 3m sticker vinyl. Get a sign shop to cut a piece slightly larger than the molding and apply it. It will hold down and hide the factory molding. Just an idea.

Thread Information