Post Thanks / Like

Splotchy leather after cleaning

So i used megs aloe leather cleaner on my tahoes seats and used a brush to scrub them. After wiping off the seat my towel was covered in dirt. Now the bottom of the seat kinda looks a little splotchy, did i remove some of the dye? Can i fix this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Splotchy leather after cleaning

my guess would be either try another cleaner or use the Meg`s again and see if it clears up the spots. I`ve seen that problem many times. I would`nt be too woried I highly doubt that you took the dye off.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Without haven seen what the seats look like, my response is nothing more than a WAG. I have no experience with that particular Meg`s product, but I tend to agree with 9D4E420. Perhaps the splotchy appearance is caused by some areas being cleaner than others.

You WILL like my work! jayjacque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Late model or little older Tahoe? If it`s getting a little age I wouldn`t doubt the dye is starting to wear (after all the driver`s seat gets used a lot). I repair/refinish/re-color a number of these every week. It`s almost always the driver`s seat just closest to the door opening where people slide in and out. So scrubbing on already weakened leather finish could give the result you describe. Hard to tell without seeing it. But I`d try a little conditioner on it, see if that helps the visual. If it does, I think you`re still in good shape. Just cut back on the scrubbing.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m going to agree that you have some areas that are cleaner than others...you are using a leather cleaner so its not harming the leather...When you said that the towels came back real dirty that tells me that there is more dirt on the leather that was not lifted....I would go back in a re-clean the seats but this time allow the product to dwell on the seats so that it can loosen up the dirt, then while removing it make sure to turn the towel so that you keep a clean area down...what happens in some cases with cleaners is we spray them off and start wiping them off...cleaners need some time to dwell on the surface so they can go into action
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

well after further inspection i do think its just still dirty in places. Should i still scrubb the seats after letting it dwell? or just use a bunch of towels? and its a 2003 tahoe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 96TexasZ View Post
    well after further inspection i do think its just still dirty in places. Should i still scrubb the seats after letting it dwell? or just use a bunch of towels? and its a 2003 tahoe
    I would lightly brush the seats you don`t need to be that aggressive at this point the dwell time should lift what`s left and clean up good...you might want to get an old tooth brush and work the cracks up like where the seats are sewn together...those areas are hard to get at, I find that once I am done with the seats if I have not done this then there is a small amount of dirt still in those cracks
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Thread Information