Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning the OUTSIDE of your windshield...

I`m looking to find info on thouroughly cleaning the exterior of my windshield, to remove anything that can impair my wiper performance...
    I`m tire of streaking, chattering, smearing, etc. with my wiper. BTW, my wipers are new and in good, clean condition...
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning the OUTSIDE of your windshield...

Quote Originally Posted by WuNgUn
    I`m looking to find info on thouroughly cleaning the exterior of my windshield, to remove anything that can impair my wiper performance...
    I`m tire of streaking, chattering, smearing, etc. with my wiper. BTW, my wipers are new and in good, clean condition...
    Thanks
    Chatter some times is not caused by a dirty glass rather than the pressure of the arm on the windshield..if that is not the case then.

I`d start with white wine vinegar mixed with water 50/50 at the wash stages that should remove about anything that is on there ...then polish is what I would do next.. last Stoners Invisible glass cleaner to remove polish residue and you should not have chatter.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Clay your glass, it works really well.Do it the same way you wold clay the paint.I find it makes them so clear and nice looking, give it a shot
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Clean it with Bon Ami or Bar Keepers Friend (NO COMET OR SOFT SCRU.

Post Thanks / Like

Clay,AIO, Rain X and After using APC on the rubber wiper blades treat them with 303 wipe..

Post Thanks / Like

I have NO IDEA if this is going to work, but I just did my truck today and used Aquawax on the glass. I just misted a MF and wiped it on until it evaporated perfectly clear. I did clay and IG first. No streaks, and the glass looks great. It`s got to last better than rain-x, I would think.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the very best thing to use on glass is a good window cleaner and the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. That thing is amazing on glass, far superior to clay on glass, you won`t believe how clean and shiny it comes out.

Leo
    Leo

1986 El Camino
    1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
    1999 Cadillac Seville
    1951 Fiat 500C

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFTowel
    IMO the very best thing to use on glass is a good window cleaner and the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. That thing is amazing on glass, far superior to clay on glass, you won`t believe how clean and shiny it comes out.

Leo
    DFTowel,
    this very well makes sense to me as stated above, but i don`t beleive people should apply anywax to the windshield as it eventualy cause the windsheild to streak in heavy rains..I do polish the side glass and rear but i will never apply a layer of wax to the front windshield. JMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Me either...I don`t want any kinda coating on the glass at all. A friend of mine, who NEVER washes his car, has perfectly quiet, streak free, non-chattering wiper performance! Pisses me off! lol
    I`ll try a Magic Eraser with a strong glass cleaner, and some SprayNine on the blades...
    Should I dress the blades themselves afterwords (i.e. Armour All)?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

My reason for putting a barrier on the glass is simply to protect it from water spots. The sunroofs on my vehicles had terrible spotting that was very difficult to remove...once that was done, I wanted something to keep it from getting so bad. I have used AIO and SG on the wifes sunroof once, and so far, no ill effects, and no further (difficult) water spotting.
    I`m just experimenting to see if it lasts any longer than Rain-X, which is a coating anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I am running Rain-X windshield washer fluid...I`ll be not reusing it!
    BUT, this morning, I drove into town and purchased the aforementioned Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, the extra strength version...
    I liberally sprayed Windex all over the windshield, and proceeded to then `polish` using the eraser. I kept it up until the Windex started to `lather`, then I wiped it down (with some fresh Windex) with my MF window cloth.
    I was so impressed I did the inside as well, and now the glass looks great!
    We`ll have to wait for a rain to see if there was a noticeable improvement to the wiper performance...
    As a side note, the Magic Eraser discoloured on the edges with black gook, similar to what you get from claying your paint finish, so I think it helped!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, once again the advice of the pros is best.
    I used aquawax on my glass the other day and thought I was so smart. This morning I hit the road and the low east sun hit the windshield, and all i could see was aquawax residue. I thought it was perfectly clear in the garage, but it was far from that. I had to stop on the side of the road and buff like heck (thank goodness I keep a MF in the truck) to make it driveable.

so you were right, I was wrong, and I`ll stick to things that are meant for glass, although I`ve never had the problem with AIO.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we had our rain, and I was able to test my windshield in it!
    Conclusion: The Magic Eraser certainly helped, as the wipe is clean and streak free....however, the wiper still chatters and skips (most times) and makes a horrible noise while doing it. Still looks like there is `something` on my glass, maybe leftovers from the hand-wash car wash?

As a side note; Anyone seen the wiper/wash system on the new Camry`s? Very nice...hydroformed arms, aerodynamically contoured for `downforce`...
    I want `em!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WuNgUn
    ...however, the wiper still chatters and skips (most times) and makes a horrible noise while doing it...
    Ever think that the fault is with the wiper blades and/or arms? My wife recently had her car inspected and the station said one of her blades was split, I don`t think so but that`s another whole thread! Anyway, they put on some blades and the next rain they chattered like mad. They were cheapies as far as I`m concerned. I went to K-Mart and bought the triple edge blade kind with four "bows" for support. The chatter vanished and they clean great! I have a set of these on my Lincoln and have not changed them in FIVE YEARS! They are like new.
    Leo

1986 El Camino
    1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
    1999 Cadillac Seville
    1951 Fiat 500C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information