Post Thanks / Like

Need to restore black paint on my Supra....New to detailing

Hey guys,

I have been looking on these forums for a few weeks, and I need to restore the paint on my 1994 Toyota Supra. Shame on me, I let the car sit outside for a few months (while I had my engine out of the car to get built). Ive washed the car a few times since, but I desperately need to remove swirl marks and bring back the shine it once had. Im fairly new to detailing in the sense that I`ve never gone the extra step to really bring out the shine and took the time to research and such as I have lately. So could you please help me with which products to use? The swirl marks and scratches are fairly noticeable. So far as what I have plan on buying is the following (if you think I should alter my purchase, please give me your opinions):

Meguires Shampoo
    Pinnacle Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad
    Meguiar’s Ultra Plush Chenille Wash Pad
    Porter Cable 7424 & 1 yellow pad, 2 orange pads, 2 white pads, and 2 grey pads
    Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay Kit
    3M Perfect-It ll Rubbing Compound Fine Cut
    3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Paints
    3M Finesse-It II Machine Polish
    Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
    P21S® Concours Carnauba Wax

So I figured I would do the following:
    1. Wash car with dawn
    2. go over the entire car with the clay bar(working with 24"x24" sections at a time) 1-2 times
    3. Wash car with Meguires Shampoo using the Meguiar’s Ultra Plush Chenille Wash Pad. (at this time, should I wash and clean my wheels before the paint?)
    4. Use 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Paints with the orange pad to see if it removes the swirls/scratches (go over surface 1-2 times). If that does work, move to step 7. If it does not work, then move to step 5.
    5. Use 3M Perfect-It ll Rubbing Compound Fine Cut with the yellow cutting pad. (go over surface 1-2 times)
    6. Repeat step 4
    7. Use 3M Finesse-It II Machine Polish with the white polishing pad. (go over surface 1-2 times)
    8. Use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant with grey finishing pad (1-2 coats)
    9. Use P21S® Concours Carnauba Wax with grey finishing pad (2-3 coats)
    10. Apply wheel sealant and tire dressing (stuck between which products I should use?)

***And Im going to use MF towels when removing all products and drying car from washes***

What do you think? Please give me any advice or opinions on anything. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks a lot! I can also post pictures if necessary of the car`s paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need to restore black paint on my Supra....New to detailing

Quote Originally Posted by i3oca
    Hey guys,

I have been looking on these forums for a few weeks, and I need to restore the paint on my 1994 Toyota Supra. Shame on me, I let the car sit outside for a few months (while I had my engine out of the car to get built). Ive washed the car a few times since, but I desperately need to remove swirl marks and bring back the shine it once had. Im fairly new to detailing in the sense that I`ve never gone the extra step to really bring out the shine and took the time to research and such as I have lately. So could you please help me with which products to use? The swirl marks and scratches are fairly noticeable. So far as what I have plan on buying is the following (if you think I should alter my purchase, please give me your opinions):

Meguires Shampoo
    Pinnacle Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad
    Meguiar’s Ultra Plush Chenille Wash Pad
    Porter Cable 7424 & 1 yellow pad, 2 orange pads, 2 white pads, and 2 grey pads
    Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay Kit
    3M Perfect-It ll Rubbing Compound Fine Cut
    3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Paints
    3M Finesse-It II Machine Polish
    Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
    P21S® Concours Carnauba Wax

So I figured I would do the following:
    1. Wash car with dawn
    2. go over the entire car with the clay bar(working with 24"x24" sections at a time) 1-2 times
    3. Wash car with Meguires Shampoo using the Meguiar’s Ultra Plush Chenille Wash Pad. (at this time, should I wash and clean my wheels before the paint?)
    4. Use 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Paints with the orange pad to see if it removes the swirls/scratches (go over surface 1-2 times). If that does work, move to step 7. If it does not work, then move to step 5.
    5. Use 3M Perfect-It ll Rubbing Compound Fine Cut with the yellow cutting pad. (go over surface 1-2 times)
    6. Repeat step 4
    7. Use 3M Finesse-It II Machine Polish with the white polishing pad. (go over surface 1-2 times)
    8. Use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant with grey finishing pad (1-2 coats)
    9. Use P21S® Concours Carnauba Wax with grey finishing pad (2-3 coats)
    10. Apply wheel sealant and tire dressing (stuck between which products I should use?)

***And Im going to use MF towels when removing all products and drying car from washes***

What do you think? Please give me any advice or opinions on anything. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks a lot! I can also post pictures if necessary of the car`s paint.
    First, let me ask how will you be doing this? By hand or machine?
    Second, do you have pictures of the car to better evaluate your suface care needs?
    Third, what previous detailing has the car received in the past?

As to the process, FI-II would come before 3M SMR as FI-II is more abrasive than. 3M product name can be hard to organize. I will hold off on offering advice until I know if you working by hand or machine.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like

there may be a bit of confusion on my part.....on step #4, it says that if the swirl mark remover "does" remove the swirls, to go on to the polishing step #7. BUT, if it "does not" remove the swirls/scratches, to move to step #5, and then repeat step #4 with the SMR and then move to the polishing step #7.

So...Im going to do this...

Swirl Mark remover (if that does not work then I will.....)
    Go to the rubbing compound
    Use the swirl remover again
    Then the 3M polish....etc.

or I will....
    swirl mark remover (and if it does work, then i will proceed to the polish)
    3M polish
    etc.

Point in doing this is to use the least abrasive first to see if that does the job, and if not, then move down to the more abrasive compound.

i will be using a portercable 7424 with the pads as listed.

I will take some pictures of the car tomorrow as it is night time now.

Detailing in the past included basic washes, and wax. Never clay bar`ed the car before.

Post Thanks / Like

May plan of attack would be:
    Wash
    Clay
    Wash
    AIO or other chemical paint cleaner. Will help clean off bonded containments which the clay did not remove.
    FI-II
    PI 3k SMR #06064 with a polishing or finishing pad
    AIO or the Wolfgang equivlent to ensure surface is ready and the sealant will properly bond to the surface.
    Wolfgang
    A day or two later follow-up with P21s wax

I suggest start using FI-II with a polishing pad, if more cut is need step up to a polishing pad. If you need more cutting power I would step up to FCRC with a polishing pad, if more cut is need step up to a polishing pad.

I suggest PI 3k SMR #06064, which is the replacement for PI-III MG becuase SMR for dark colors #39009 has a lot of fillers.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

Post Thanks / Like

If you wanted to use Meguiars products as opposed to 3m, you could substitute FI-II with DACP and PI 3k with #80 Speed glaze.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for helping me out...

what is the PI 3k SMR #06064? I know its a swirl mark remover, but cant find the item # 06064 and im assuming the PI stnads for Perfect-It

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by i3oca
    thank you for helping me out...

what is the PI 3k SMR #06064? I know its a swirl mark remover, but cant find the item # 06064 and im assuming the PI stnads for Perfect-It
    PI does stand for Perfect-it and 3k stands for 3000. The SMR #06064 replaced Perfect-It III machine glaze #05937, which may be still available. I would call the company you ordering from and check availablity of either the Machine glaze or pi-3k SMR.

Part #`s
    FI-II
    16oz. 39003
    32oz. 05928
    PI-3K SMR
    16oz. 39019
    32oz. 06064
    PI-III MG
    16oz. 39012
    32oz. 05937

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

Post Thanks / Like

Have you done any work to the supra yet?

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

Thread Information