PDA

View Full Version : after paint chip repair, add clear?

derek37
10-09-2005, 05:21 PM
When filling in stone chips, does anyone apply clearcoat over the repair? Can you buy clear coat in the same kinda small bottles like the paint? And, would it be noticeable if after completing the paint touchup,(after wetsand, polish) you did not use any clearcoat?

Inquiring minds need to know. :confused:

papi_jay
10-09-2005, 10:16 PM
It is noticeable usually anyways because the touch ups are always darker than the original paint because the touch up paint is thicker in the blobs that are applied .

Touch up paints are usually the factory color mixed wih clear , BUT if the touch up is leveled with the original paint then clearing it is okay , but not necessary . Don`t polish until after the clear is applied if you do clear ( after color is wetsanded level ) so it will adhere properly .

Accumulator
10-10-2005, 09:26 AM
I have the guys at the paint/body shop I patronize mix little bottles of both color and clear. They thin them down compared to normal touchup paint, which is often *really* thick. I just barely get enough color on the chip to provide coverage, than put on the clear. That way I don`t have to do any sanding on the colorcoat. Not sure if there`s any advantage to this (and if there is you sure can`t tell by how *my* touchups turn out :o ) but I just feel more comfortable not doing any abrading until I`m working with the clear.

BTW, the VW/Audi touchup bottles that they sell at the dealership have both color and clear.

derek37
10-10-2005, 04:30 PM
alright good info, thanks guys.

derek37
10-10-2005, 04:33 PM
I have the guys at the paint/body shop I patronize mix little bottles of both color and clear. They thin them down compared to normal touchup paint, which is often *really* thick.

any ideas on how to "thin" the touch up paint?