PDA

View Full Version : Is this overkill ? To Many Products ?

Perm
07-11-2005, 05:00 AM
Hi,

Ok, here is a summary of what I have learned. Can you tell me if this is correct? Will it hit my objective ?

Background.

Car is a dark blue metallic. Used every day and not parked in a garage. Paint work is 18 months old and in good condition.

There are Spiderwebs and some minor scratches.

Objective

Get the car looking fantastic and then be able to maintain the look. Will be getting a Porter Cable to help with this.

Products used on car to date

Megs NXT wash, Megs NXT, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection

Products Selected for the next stage.

STAGE -> PRODUCT -> REASON FOR USE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wash -> NXT -> Clean the car

Clay -> Megs Quick Clay -> Remove surface contaminants

Cleaner -> AIO -> Clean the paint and create a good base

Polish -> SSR1 -> Remove minor scratches and spider webs

Sealant -> SG -> Protect paint and add that extra shine

Wax -> P21S -> Add that deep wet look

Does that look a good combination? Is my order correct? Do I need all of these?

Many thanks

Perm

Alfisti
07-11-2005, 05:11 AM
The only step that needs correction is to SSR before you AIO. A polish will remove AIO, so you want to remove marring before putting down AIO and SG.

If you have scratches SSR1 may not cut it, but try it and evaluate the results. If you still see marring then go to SSR2.

Perm
07-11-2005, 05:15 AM
Alfisti, thanks for the tips.

One more thing.

Could all this me done on a car in a single day ? Or do i need to let certain products cure before applying the next ?

Thanks

Perm

a.k.a. Patrick
07-11-2005, 05:21 AM
I agree with Al for the most part, but think I would skip AIO altogether, and probably feel comfortable bumping right up to 2.0. 1.0 is really just a cleaner anyway, with very little abrasive polishing. If you have spiderwebby`s and light scratches, 2.0 would be a great starting point. But I understand you aprehension. I would also wait 24 hrs for an additional coat of SG, then 24 more before using the paste wax. So you looking at 3 days total.....

Alfisti
07-11-2005, 05:26 AM
Are you suggesting not laying down AIO as a base for SG?

Perm
07-11-2005, 05:31 AM
Patrick,

Same concern as Alfisti...... does not SG need to have AIO first to work ?

Pern

White95Max
07-11-2005, 06:26 AM
I would also recommend that you do clay-SSR1-AIO-SG-P21S. There`s not much sense in using AIO before SSR1.

I also agree with Patrick about using SSR2. If you have any significant swirling, SSR1 probably wouldn`t tackle it.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-11-2005, 07:20 AM
Im just not sure its necessary (AIO). SG needs a sterile surface, which is usually accomplished by polishing anyway. You "could" use it to clean any residual oils the SSR`s have, (do they?). The questions is, do you get better adhesion with minute oils (if any) or better adhesion with application over an acrylic layer (AIO)?

Perm, to answer your question, no, you dont "need" AIO to use SG. Personally, if I was a dedicated SG user, I would polish, then opt for a single purpose "paint cleaner". Something that leaves "nothing" behind.