PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for MILD Swirl remover?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_The Uncle
12-27-2004, 12:23 PM
I need to remove some very modest swirls and I do have a PC.

I thought about the following products:

Poorboys SSR1/SSR2

1Z Metallic

The only think I already have is #9.

I`m not looking for fillers, since I`ll just use AIO on the car afterwards anyway.

Ease of use is important to me, price is not.

holland_patrick
12-27-2004, 12:30 PM
I haven`t used it but Poor boy`s i hear is the way to go.. I like FPII though..

Asonyexec
12-27-2004, 12:52 PM
# 80 worked great for my light swirls. A `03 lex gs 300 and it had a few light swirls, tried the 80 and they were gone. I followed up with some KLASS AIO and topped it with my carnuba wax and all was fine.

I have never tried poor boys only because I can only get it over the internet and I cant justify spending close to the same in shipping as the product costs. Plenty of alternatives out there though that work just as good.

good luck

dcswd
12-27-2004, 01:00 PM
I really like SSR2 a lot and I find it to be easy to use with the PC. SSR1 may work but I dont know if it will be enough. I have used it to remove light waterspotting before. It is a light polish but it still does work. SSR2 is relitively light still and you could vary the cutting ability with it by using a polishing pad or cutting pad.

1z Metalic is nice too, but depending on your definition of mild swirls, it probably wont be strong enough. You could up that to 1z Paint Polish if you wanted. I would rater use it as an occasional matinance product rather than a big swirl remover.

I havent used #80 so I cant comment on that. It does seem nice from the reviews though.

Hope this helps :D

Accumulator
12-27-2004, 01:18 PM
Yeah, much as I like 1Z MP, it`s almost certainly too mild for what you`re doing. I`d go with either the PB`s SSR stuff or the Meg`s #80.

The #80 works OK for me (and it *is* easy to use), and I haven`t tried the SSRs, but I think I`d recommend the SSR1 and 2. Between the two of them you`d have more options. Not like you`d go wrong with the #80 though, so IMO you could almost flip a coin.

JasonD
12-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Accumulator,

Would you choose those products over 3M PI III MG?

imported_The Uncle
12-27-2004, 01:25 PM
That is a good question, because 3m products are often available locally. I agree with Asonyexec about shipping costs. Although, that isn`t an issue if I am buying lots of other stuff at the time.

JasonD
12-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by The Uncle

That is a good question, because 3m products are often available locally. I agree with Asonyexec about shipping costs. Although, that isn`t an issue if I am buying lots of other stuff at the time.

Sometimes vendors offer Autopia discounts which will usually negate the shipping costs plus some....sometimes.

shaw
12-27-2004, 02:38 PM
For ease of use and value, I would have to go with Hi-Temp

HT-61 Light Cut. Their Medium Cut is the next step if you need more punch. At $ 20 a gallon, they are a bargain and do the job well with no fillers. So, what you see is what you get. A local supplier nearby distributes to body shops and detailers, as well as online at that price.

Pad type and selection will play a factor in your end result.

I have just received Poorboy`s waiting to be opened. I am sure that some deserving paint will be pleased with it. Add some more to the wish list like Menzerna, Sonus, 1Z, plus a host of others. Somebody give me some swirls, please!

stevet
12-27-2004, 03:09 PM
I would go 3M Perfect It III Machine Glaze. Very mild but abrasive enough to remove minor marring. Non filling, easy to use, and available local.

fertzguy
12-27-2004, 03:12 PM
1Z MP should work if not go to PP

vapore0n
12-27-2004, 04:24 PM
i also would suggest FPII on a white pad.

I havent had to use anything more agresive than that unless the car has water spot etchings.

Accumulator
12-27-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

Accumulator,

Would you choose those products over 3M PI III MG?

Nah, my *first* choice would be the 3M PI-III RC (05933) and MG (05937). I keep going back to them as my go-to products. If the MG will do it, cool, but I usually end up using the RC first, even for light marring. But remember, (except for the Jag) my vehicles have hard paint.

I really like the 1Z stuff, but *on the paints I have* the MP (even the pro version) is too mild for any correction and I don`t always want the waxes they leave behind (nah, I don`t like to alcohol wipe). I do recommend the PP to non-Autopian friends and they always like it. I`ll still use 1Z polishes, it`s sorta like not eating the same dinner every day.

I`ve found that between the rotary, the Cyclo, and the PC (and various pads), I can solve most any problem with the two PI-III products.

But that wasn`t what The Uncle asked about and I was trying not to do a "get some totally different stuff" response ;)

Menzerna- I`ve tried the FP (version I) by Cyclo, PC, and rotary, and it`s too mild for any correction on the cars I tried it on. Seemed easy enough to use, though.

JasonD
12-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Okay, I was just checking. For a moment I was beginning to think you were abandoning your *old faithful* products. I see where you are coming from for not trying to bring up totally different products than what`s asked because I`ve found myself recommending the same products over and over when sometimes what they already have will work *almost* just as well.

Accumulator
12-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

For a moment I was beginning to think you were abandoning your *old faithful* products...

Heh heh, not likely ;) And if I do, I`ll be sure to post about it.

And since The Uncle has posted that he can get 3M stuff locally, well, I`ll repeat those part numbers :D

PI-III RC 05933

PI-III MG 05937