PDA

View Full Version : Newbie,need advice on detail procedures.long

GrimmReaper
10-03-2004, 10:17 PM
I have shadowed this board for the last few days taking up as much info as possible.I want to see what advcie I can get for my winterization detail at the end of the month.

I allready follow the detalingbible.com detailing techniques which are similiar to what is stated in the Learn section.

The vehicle I will be detailing is my 98 Ext.Cab Silverado Factory black.I bought it last year from the original owner who garaged it from day one.The paint job has no swirl marks what so ever,but some minor spider webbing and a few light scratches.

For the time being I will be using Megs products due the $ and availibility. So to get to the point here is what I have for procedure.

wash

clay

strip off old wax with 3m gpac

Megs medallion paint cleaner

#9 for spiderwebbing

I will also being doing it all by hand.

I have never used the Medallion paint cleaner and would like to know any user tips and how easy it is to work with.And what type of appllicator to use

Also I have only used #9 to take out a few light scratches.What type of applicator should I use and how much pressure when working it into the paint.?

Also does megs make a non-polymer sealant??

Any tips/advcie would be much appreciated. Thanks

Wasatch
10-04-2004, 08:45 AM
Welcome to Autopia.

You could probably skip the 3m step since MMPC will take care of the old wax removal. Working the #9 by hand will be a PITA, but should produce some results. To make sure your not just filling in the marks use a 50/50 iso alcohol/water mixture to checkout your progress. I would use a MF applicator or Terry Cloth appllicator for the polish step and cleaner step. As far as I know #20 is Meg`s polymer sealant, maybe NXT could be considered a sealant as well. I guess a non-polymer sealant would be called a wax? Not sure. You might need an extra step after #9 if there is any hazing, might try #80 or maybe just some QD, I`m not that familar with the Megs products, so maybe someone else could help you out there. Finally after all that is done top with #16. You should be set for about 3 months.