PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wanting to do a major detail

Pages : [1] 2

godofthunder
04-14-2003, 07:41 PM
OK, hi everyone. I have been looking arround here for a while. I have a 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL, Medium Green Metalic paint. I am a active member over at w-body.com for it.

Well, in the next month or so, I have been planning a major detail. To restore 7 years now of paint, never having a major job done. I wax it every 4 or so months, and over last summer, did the McGuires 3 step.

Some plans include detailing the engine, interior, and of course paint. I have been checking out the autopia.ws area, and have some notes from that. But I would like to know what a good plan is to do. Im thinking I may have to do the engine and interior one weekend, and the exterior the next. I am on a budget, but can get some new stuff.

Here is my plan so far, for the exterior...

1) Wash

2) Clay, with the new ones at Walmart (9.99).

3) Rewash

4) Touch up areas with touch up paint (maybe even sand them)

5) McGuires 1st step, prewax cleaner

6) the 2nd step, the poilsh

7) And McGuires Gold Class wax

Are there any other products you would recogmend (partic. wash (but inexp.), polish, etc).

I Also have a buffer (small 10" one). SHould I do this all by hand, or with the buffer. And which bonnet should be used for which product? Also, there is some wax in some crevices...how do I get that out. And shoudl I tape off the car in certian areas to not have that happen again?

Sorry for all the questions and long post, can anyone help me out, or point me in a dirrection?

Jon :nixweiss

PS - Paint is ok. Tons of swirls and chips over the place. Hood is really chiped up from rocks in the mountians (little stones). No fading really. I just waana get the swirls out, and make her look beter.

square
04-14-2003, 08:33 PM
Looks like a good plan. I would use dishwash soap, like Dawn, for the first wash. Make sure and remove stuff like bugs before you clay.

Remember that you can use car wash soap for the clay lube. I just did my car and went through 24+ oz of lube. I mixed a capful of a generic (purple power), cheap car wash with 16 oz of water. Worked very well.

You asked about car wash soap, I think the general consensus is that most car wash soaps are OK for regular use. Buy what smells good , or is on sale. I use zymol (blue bottle), zymol clear, zaino, and purple power, all work fine.

I can`t advise on the bonnets for your buffer. However, I think you will find that doing this by hand is very hard. I suggest using your buffer, I think you will like the results better.

Meguires three step is a good process. Gold class wax is also a good product and a good substitute for the 3rd step.

Tape off stuff if you can.

Lou

Patrick
04-14-2003, 09:36 PM
Is there still wax present ? Has it been, lets say 6 months or so since the last wax job ? Last summer huh ? Shame on you !

Most polishes will remove most waxes....unless your talking Z, or BF, Klasse, UPPP....But if its carnauba, your safe with car wash...And just any will do, just make sure it says "wont strip wax", or something similiar....Once you get full bore into this, which you will, your preferences will come alive ! And your safe here, on Autopia...Some folks like using QD`s, others like me, use just water while im washing, yet others mix car soap and water, to each there own....If your going to touch up with paint, I`d suggest waiting a week or so to detail.....The rest of your items look fairly decent, since your going Meg`s. You may want to sub # 20 for the Gold Class though, its easier to use, and durability way exceeds the Carnaubas....If swirls are an issue, which i think they are in your case, go with Meg`s Swirl remover, or 3M`s SMR dark, use the polish if your not happy after that step, then #20 or Carnauba....You will probably get better results by hand, although its more difficult, the 10" your talking about, Im assuming, isnt powerful enough to even plug it in. Eventually get a Porter Cable R/O. Wax in crevices, hit with a QD, then crease your towel and run in the seams, or get a Q-tip....Let your imagination run, youll find something that works ! Most important, have fun ! If your not, dont give up....Then admire your work ! And show us a pic !

vol_freak
04-14-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by godofthunder

Here is my plan so far, for the exterior...

1) Wash

2) Clay, with the new ones at Walmart (9.99).

3) Rewash

4) Touch up areas with touch up paint (maybe even sand them)

5) McGuires 1st step, prewax cleaner

6) the 2nd step, the poilsh

7) And McGuires Gold Class wax

Are there any other products you would recogmend (partic. wash (but inexp.), polish, etc).

I Also have a buffer (small 10" one). SHould I do this all by hand, or with the buffer. And which bonnet should be used for which product? Also, there is some wax in some crevices...how do I get that out. And shoudl I tape off the car in certian areas to not have that happen again?

Godofthunder, I am fairly new to the detailing world myself but here is my $.02. I think you have a good plan, but I may consider using the meguiars professional line instead of the consumer line 3 step process (in the purple/red bottle, is that what you have?). When I first got my truck I used the meguiars 3 step cleaner/polish and wax with pretty good results. Recently, based on some posts on this board, I decided to try their professional line in the tan bottles. This consists of #9 swirl remover, #7 glaze/polish, and #26 high tech yellow wax. The results were much much better!

I definitely would consider something other than the Gold Class if you are only going to wax every 4 months. The consensus is that Gold Class gives a great shine, but will not last very long at all.

As far as the bonnets go I would use the foam ones. Just make sure you use a new one for each product.

I am still learning and soaking up all the great info in this forum, but maybe some of the "experts" will chime in.

If you are interested, I just detailed my truck this weekend. I used a cheap buffer (just until I can order my Porter Cable) with the foam pads. I dawn washed, claybar, washed again, #9, #7, and topped off with Liquid Glass. Some think that you shouldn`t apply a sealant over a glaze (ie Liquid Glass over #7) so you may want to stick with #26. I am pleased with the results at least until I can try Klasse or Zaino .

Here is a link to some of my pics...

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21661

godofthunder
04-14-2003, 09:51 PM
QD, like quick Detailer? I love that stuff...

Yes, its a plug in buffer. I just need to know which bonnets to use.

Whats wrong with striping the wax? I plan on just using what I find locally, prob zanino wash, or the meguires shampoo stuff or something.

Also, my pastor (who loves detailing and buds with Dale Earnhardt) said that he was tought a trick of using corn starch when buffing off the wax, to help with swirls...ever heard this?

And is that MEgs swirl remover ok to put all over the car?

Jon

proshine2009
04-14-2003, 09:54 PM
i would recommend meg APC+ for the engine and interior cleaning and meg EK for dressing after APC+ u can use that in wheelwell, wheel and engine. as for exterior i think u r set and like patrick said u may need swirl remover like, meg 9, meg DACP, 3M SMR they all do very good job while meg DACP is the most abrasive then 3M SMR and then meg 9.

godofthunder
04-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Yes, I have the red bottles.

Where can you get the professional series stuff?

Also, anyone in central VA? Maybe someone (other than my GF who will just be extra hands to work with) can help :)

Jon

godofthunder
04-14-2003, 09:57 PM
Meg EK and APC+ huh?

vol_freak
04-14-2003, 10:00 PM
Many parts stores in my area carry the Meguiars professional line. Pepboys, Advance Auto, or maybe Autozone but I`m not sure about that one.

Good luck! Don`t forget to let us know how it turns out.

Patrick
04-14-2003, 10:05 PM
LISTEN, go simple....If you start using these pro line products, you have no idea what to expect, or what your missing, start small, work your way up.......I wouldnt think you would need to SMR the entire car, but maybe all the horizontal surfaces....Definetly hood and deck, top if you care to....

Take my advice, start small...............(simple)

proshine2009
04-14-2003, 10:14 PM
meguair engine kote = EK

meguair all purpose cleaner plus = APC+

do a search on these and you will find alot of review and picture to help.

goodluck

godofthunder
04-15-2003, 05:34 AM
Does anyone have a desc. on how to clay? OR is it simple.

And yah, ill prob just put the scratch remover on horiz surfaces.

I waxed part of the car at the begining of winter. Mainly the vertical services.

Oh, and about getting wax out of the cracks and stuff, Quick Detail spray could help? What should I do to prevent this....tape off the cracks? I saw it done before, but is that to much work?

Jon

imported_Smoker
04-15-2003, 10:59 AM
If youve got Megs 3-step you may as well use it.

It aint all that bad.

Like someone else said, i would start small, youll be amzed how long it takes you just to do a simple detail till you get the hang of it.

QD is good for wiping down door shuts etc, engine bay i would use APC.

As for wax residue ?

MF towels and wooden toothpicks usually work for me. If its really stubborn, a bit of QD and an old toothbrush work well.

shaf
04-15-2003, 01:31 PM
godofthunder, if you say the car has "tons of swirls" I`d say you are headed towards using something like DACP or maybe a swirl remover if you`re lucky. Someone else recently used Megs Step 1 and found it too mild, as pre-wax cleaners tend to be.

You might end up sweating over it with a folded terry towel (Scottwax`s tip to get more "bite") if your buffer isn`t powerful enough. Often these things aren`t fast enough or powerful enough to allow you to put any pressure down. Getting swirls out by hand is tough and time consuming, but possible of course. Do a search for topics about swirl removal by hand (try the Archives) to read more about this. Good luck.

godofthunder
04-16-2003, 09:22 AM
Ok...

The buffer was like a$20 at Walmart, 1200-2000 RPM i think. I used it once before. I just dont know exactly what bonnets to use on what. Can I use foam ones? And should I use the buffer to buff off the polish/sealent/wax, etc? Or apply by buffer, and remove by hand

And with QD, you are talking about Quik Detail spray, right? Like from meguires? I have a few bottes of it, love that stuff.

I think now, im going to do this...

First weekend or day...

1) Clean interior

2) Wash

3) Touch UP paint

4) Engine bay....spray down with Mean Green or something (since I have some), then get some of that EK or just spray with QD

then the next

1) Wash again, with dawn

1.5) Tape off car, jams, etc

2) #9, the swirl remover (Step one in 3step didnt do enough)

3) #7, sounds like just what I need

4) Gold Class wax, or maybe that high tech yellow

I dont mind doing this by hand, last time I did the 3 step, while it took forever, it looked a bit nicer.

I just dont know if its ok to use the buffer to remove too. And what exact bonnets to use. I heard once use liek a fluffy one for cleaner, and then terry for polish and wax. Or should I use foam?

Jon