PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Pressure Washer with Honda GCV160 Engine - any thoughts?

imported_Dr. G
03-15-2012, 11:27 AM
I`m looking to pick up a gas pressure washer and was thinking about the Craftsman 2,600 PSI, 2.3 GPM Honda Powered Pressure Washer from Sears.

Any thoughts and can I use the Cam Spray Foam Cannon with it?

Paul Sparks
03-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Whenever I`m considering a tool or equipment purchase from Sears, I contact Chris Dasher (forum member porscheguy997). He has worked in the Sears hardware section for yrs while attending school. He has extensive knowledge on the equipment they carry and never failed to point out the pros and cons of equipment I was considering buying.

Ron Ketcham
03-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Question?

Are you operating a business or is this for your personal use?

Please allow me to present some findings of a few years ago at a conference put together by Ford, GM, Chrysler and Prof. Car Wash magazine and pressure washers for automotive use. (think it was around 1998)

Pressue is one thing, but more important it was found is the nozzle and it`s angle to the surface.

With modern cars, they ended up recommending that no more than 1000psi be used, especially under the hood and around flex agent painted parts (facia`s).

Their findings indicated that a 1600psi rated washer, when the nozzle is held 4 to 6 inches from the intended surface, was producing aprox 750 to 800 psi at the intended surface. They chose this pressure rating as it is the most common rating for electric washers that are readily available at most stores.

If the washer will be used for cleaning of concrete, stone, etc, then higher pressure is ok as long as the nozzle is not held to close and at an angle which does not degredate the stone/concrete.

I have two electric washers, sold my Honda gas a few years back. Got tired of gas, storing, etc and the noise.

Good luck, and also keep in mind that like most power tools, the brand is a brand, but who makes the tool and puts the brand name label on it?

Many are the same, just marketing and price point for the companies targeted customers.

Grumpy

PorscheGuy997
03-15-2012, 08:42 PM
As with almost all consumer level pressure washers, the motor is going to outlast the pump by a huge margin. In my experience, the Honda GCV motors will last longer than the B&S equivalent. That being said, the GPM is going to always be more important than PSI.

This Sunday (3/18) is Friends and Family. You can take an additional 15% off the sale price from 6-9 P.M. That`s about the lowest you`re going to see them go for.

Msuperbauer
03-16-2012, 06:06 AM
Don`t do it! Dont be fooled by that honda motor, The pumps are garbage. Then when you need it fixed it will take weeks. Do yourself a favor and find a dealer that sells outdoor power equipment. They will stand behind their product. The cost may be a little more (maybe not) but the quality of product is superior.

CTSV
03-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Honestly?

My harbor freight display model with a crappy mitsubishi engine and 2x00 something ratting has lasted 2-3 years already with no signs of giving up.

I just change the pump and engine fluid once a year.

imported_Dr. G
03-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the advice.

Ron, it is for personal use to wash my two cars (`12 AM Vantage S Quantum Silver and `12 CLS550 - Black). I wash my cars about once per week when weather permits and then put a coat of NXT 2.0 on every few weeks. I`m obviously going to need something that will be reliable. What would be your recommendation in an electric unit?

gmblack3
03-16-2012, 08:52 AM
I have the Kranzle K 1120T, its electric and 1400 psi. Not cheap new, I was fortunate to get mine used. Works fine with a lance.

Ron Ketcham
03-16-2012, 10:33 AM
The big unit you mentioned at the start is overkill.

I have a $60 Harbor Frieght that is at least 8 years old, would guess it has close to 500+ hours on it. Only thing I have done is replace the electrical plug.

Have another one I picked up at Aldi`s, three years ago as it was on sale for $79, thought a back up would be good to have at that price.

My buddy and partner in Grumpy`s Garage took it to his house and has ran it about 15 hours cleaning his siding, etc.

Both little, cheap, electric units have done fine.

That said, one never knows just how long one will last, I guess for once in my life I got lucky on these units.

You sure don`t need all that pressure of the Honda or any of those for what you will use them for, since those cars don`t get real dirty, etc. (ps, you are my hero, love the Aston-if had the extra cash would own one)

Something to consider, if your home has good water pressure, pick up one of those "fire hose" nozzles.

They are great!!!

Can adjust to a good power stream, and for rinsing to a "flood" setting.

I gave one of mine to my boat club for members that wash their boats when they are done with their run in the Muddy Mississippi.

Cuts their wash and "rinse" time by 2/3rds.

The gal we have for facility maintance was using a pressure washer to wash off the concrete apron, and such, large area.

Showed her the fire nozzle, she thought I was full of BS, but let me go ahead.

Now, she only hooks up the electric pressure washer once in a while when the may flies hatch.

Says the hose nozzle saves her tons of time.

Just a thought.

Grumpy

Paul Sparks
03-16-2012, 12:37 PM
I have both a Sears gas and a cheap electric power washer. I don`t usually drag out the gas model unless it is to do my concrete drive or house siding. The electric model from Menards is used on the rear deck and aroung the pool. The original poster asked about a certain sears model pw and I knew Chris would have the straight skinney. IMO the gas model would be overkill for car wash only apps. For multiple or duble duty it would fit the bill. As other members have posted, the eletric units would be more suited to car wash only functions. So it would depend on what range of chores one wanted to perform as to which unit best fit their needs.

vfelix
05-31-2012, 04:14 AM

Good luck, and also keep in mind that like most power tools, the brand is a brand, but who makes the tool and puts the brand name label on it?

Many are the same, just marketing and price point for the companies targeted customers.

Grumpy

I totally agree to what you have written here. ^^ It is definitely true that many power tools are very similar and that they only differ because of their different brand name. Additionally I do not buy power tools because whenever I need one I simply prefer power rental (http://us.aggreko.com/products-services/rental-power-generation/). Due to this I actually always get different brands and I am satisfied with all of them because as you said the often only differ because of their different brand name.

togwt
05-31-2012, 04:39 AM
A pressure washer`s psi rating isn`t the whole story; although it’s the pressure (psi) that loosens dirt, it’s the volume (GPM) of water flow that flushes it.

IHA Mark
06-01-2012, 08:36 AM
PASS. Craftsman`s quality has been on the downside for years...

Go get the black max with the Honda engine from Sam`s Club, $299 well spent.