PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered some Optimum Hyper Compound/Ultra Fine Polish

amcdonal86
08-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Well, I finally got around to ordering some of Optimum`s polishing products. I plan on using it at some point with my Flex 3401 VRG and the Lake Country Hydro pads I have. The car hasn`t been polished since about March and still looks great from 20+ feet away, but closer up at certain angles I am starting to be able to see some fine scratches and isolated gouges where some fools have probably leaned and/or rested items on my car while I wasn`t around.

Anybody have experience with these products, and have any recommendations? How does it compare to M105/205? (I used M105/205 last time and although the results were pretty good, it doesn`t seem as easy to work with as I had hoped--lots of caking on the pads and also very quick to dry on the car; I have no choice but to work outside.)

Thanks!

SpoolinNoMore
08-30-2011, 04:14 PM
If you`re having caking problems on your pad with 105/205, you may be using too much product or not cleaning your pad often enough (brushing the face of the foam of excess polish after every panel or few sections).

wascallyrabbit
08-30-2011, 05:53 PM
it sounds like your using to much product. also clean your pad frequently like spoolinomore suggests.

Blackthornone
08-30-2011, 06:32 PM
If you`re having caking problems on your pad with 105/205, you may be using too much product or not cleaning your pad often enough (brushing the face of the foam of excess polish after every panel or few sections).

He also said that he was working outside, which was the reason why the polish was caking, because it was drying too quickly because of the heat. It sounds like he needs a way to make his Meg`s polishes stay wetter in the sun, or find a polish that works better in the sun. I know System One can be used in the sun with some success, because I`ve used it, and I`ve heard that Optimum Polish 2 works ok in the sun. I have used System One in the sun, and out of the sun, in the cool garage, and I can tell you that the polish did indeed cake more when working outside, while inside I had all the time I needed.

It sounds like what he really needs is a garage or a tent or something.

Legacy
08-30-2011, 07:11 PM
He also said that he was working outside, which was the reason why the polish was caking, because it was drying too quickly because of the heat. It sounds like he needs a way to make his Meg`s polishes stay wetter in the sun, or find a polish that works better in the sun. I know System One can be used in the sun with some success, because I`ve used it, and I`ve heard that Optimum Polish 2 works ok in the sun. I have used System One in the sun, and out of the sun, in the cool garage, and I can tell you that the polish did indeed cake more when working outside, while inside I had all the time I needed.

It sounds like what he really needs is a garage or a tent or something.

Working outside doesn`t mean he`s working in the sun. Maybe he`ll confirm if he`s working in the sun or shade.

b34tBoX
08-30-2011, 07:53 PM
A spray bottle of water works wonders to keep your pad and product from drying out too fast.

x10000 on cleaning your pad after each panel.

Street5927
08-30-2011, 07:56 PM
I recently did a Toyota Camry with pretty severe scratches. Having used the OHC and loving the results, I experimented a little by using the OHC spray with Megs MF pads and had excellent results. Just something to think about.

amcdonal86
08-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Hah, last time I worked on the car, I was working in direct sunlight. However, it was early March, and ambient temperatures were only about 50 degrees. Nevertheless, the car is black so the paint was still fairly warm, IIRC.

I get the feeling that not many people use OHC on this forum.

Does anyone know where I can get a good brush for cleaning pads? I feel like brushes don`t work too well. What I usually end up doing is having 3 pads in rotation. I work with one, have one soaking in a solution of Snappy Clean pad cleaning solution, and then one that`s rinsed and drying in the sun. This is very tedious! I thought about buying that pad cleaning contraption (the bucket) but it`s really not worth it for me because I only really do this twice a year currently. (If I had a real garage I`d do it every day--or as needed!)

amcdonal86
10-21-2011, 09:34 PM
OK, well I am finally going to try to undertake this tomorrow. I was playing around with the Hyper Compound spray on my glass desk and working it in with my fingers. It`s interesting how much more gritty it is than the Hyper Polish. Kinda funny, since I bought all these products I have actually sold two cars to get to my current car!

Luckily now I will at least be working in a covered parking area and out of direct sunlight (and not under a tree).

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FYzr0YB4JXw/TqIsYXpjnEI/AAAAAAAAAhU/vvVX4PqUekY/s912/MUSTANGPARKING.jpg