PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when....

Pages : [1] 2

bwalker25
04-11-2008, 05:58 PM
you complete a car and a customer says "I will only pay you xxx and not $xxx" or "I am not going to pay"

what do you do? what legally can you do?

kkjv1
04-11-2008, 06:14 PM
That sucks man. Was there anything that made him unsatisfied with your work?

In general, i would just probably cut my losses and forget him as a customer. Life`s too short to pop a blood vessel over that incident.

Envious Eric
04-11-2008, 06:40 PM
depends on what was agreed upon....wash and wax, forget about it and move on...

reconditioning of the whole car, get my money!!!

JonP
04-11-2008, 06:51 PM
unprofessionally, I would say fine, then mix up a couple 5 gallon buckets of mud/dirt and put it all back on the car where it came from, and reverse the vacuum on the inside. :chuckle: Professionally, I would always have some form with me that states the work that will be done on the car, the price, etc. and a disclosure on the backside, the customer will sign the form agreeing to pay the amount after completion, if they refuse to sign the form, I refuse to service their car. simple as that.

RTexasF
04-11-2008, 06:57 PM
When dealing with an arsehole who had full intentions of beating you up in the first place there is little you can do without a signed contract. Take your lumps, warn all others in the area, and make sure he understands NEVER to call you again. It`s a shame these ```````s breathe the same air we do.....assuming they breathe air at all.

DaGonz
04-11-2008, 07:08 PM
you complete a car and a customer says "I will only pay you xxx and not $xxx" or "I am not going to pay"

what do you do? what legally can you do?

Do you possess the keys? Is the vehicle in your garage?

Charge himn storage until he pays up.

bwalker25
04-11-2008, 07:40 PM
long story short, I let my need for a detail get the best of me...I took a job that something just didn`t feel right about, I knew he would try to stiff me, and I still have his car, he left today said he would be back to "get his car"....I have the keys, I have a signed contract stating I would work on the car for x price and payment due upon final inspection.

I have: the keys, signed contract w/ initial inspection form, vin#, license plate#, title information for the car. I am considering a mechanics lien...no garage

bwalker25
04-11-2008, 07:45 PM
the car was swirled and he seemed very happy and I was about to give him his keys and he said "About the $225, I am only going to pay you $100 now and I will be back next week when I get paid"

of course we all see the problem here...thats less than half price and I wouldn`t have done this job for $100 unless there was some food involved! I told him that I can`t give him his keys until I receive payment in full and told him to check his inspection form he signed. Things went south in a hurry and lets say it was good I had his keys locked up in a safe.

edit: I am reasonable and might`ve worked something out with the guy, if he hadn`t led me on when I took the job, I told him $225 up front he said no problem...

Driven Auto Detail
04-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Wow, that is crazy. Good luck with the situation. It sounds like you have him by the b@lls at this point...hehe! I hope you get paid your $225.

bwalker25
04-11-2008, 08:02 PM
thanks, After thinking about this all day and then some I am just going to settle with him and make sure the other guy across town knows to watch out for him...I dont like headaches and any solution other than settling with him will be to long to persue...

I wont settle for less than $180, we will see tomorrow....

edit: thing is he isn`t a friend, or family, friend of a friend, friend of a referral, or anything that would make me want to give him a discount....I got stiffed once and I dont like taking less than my dues but I dont want to be out everything....crap this sucks damned if I do and damned if I dont...less money or no money

Thomas Dekany
04-11-2008, 09:28 PM
thanks, After thinking about this all day and then some I am just going to settle with him and make sure the other guy across town knows to watch out for him...I dont like headaches and any solution other than settling with him will be to long to persue...

I wont settle for less than $180, we will see tomorrow....

edit: thing is he isn`t a friend, or family, friend of a friend, friend of a referral, or anything that would make me want to give him a discount....I got stiffed once and I dont like taking less than my dues but I dont want to be out everything....crap this sucks damned if I do and damned if I dont...less money or no money

What is he going to do? Keep the key until you get the $$$$$$$.

Don`t settle, that is crazy.

I have a feeling that he will have the money.

What is it? Is he bigger?? :D:D:D

teck
04-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Just lein it man no money no car.

imported_ZimRandy
04-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Keep the car until paid in full. He knew the cost and knew when it would be done.

Without the car, you have zero leverage for your money.

(Pull the coil wire or an important fuse Like fuel pump or ignition to prevent him getting the car without paying)

Good luck,

Randy

MrNorwall
04-12-2008, 12:08 AM
If you have a signed contract saying he will pay you after final inspection, tell him to pay $225 or get an attorney

BigAl3
04-12-2008, 12:13 AM
if he only pays you partially, draw up another contract for the remaining amount and have him sign it (that way you can take him to small claims court) and make sure to get ALL his info. try to get the full amount you`re owed first!