PDA

View Full Version : ClearKote Products and Site Links

Pages : [1] 2

qballjr13
04-04-2008, 01:11 PM
I was just researching some products on ClearKote and while I was doing so I looked at the local dealers for my area. There was one "car wash" on Cape Cod that is a dealer but they had this article posted on their site. I Was just curious what you all thought of it?

About Us (http://www.sandwichcarwash.com/Homewashing.htm)

NSXTASY
04-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Their Marketing FAILS on Autopians.

The average handwash probably does do these things if theyre using a brillo pad and sand.

Hand wash jobs are extremely harmful to automobile finishes. Tests conducted by the University of Texas to compare surface disturbances showed that a single home hand wash on an automobile can produce scratches that penetrate as deep as 1/10 of the total Washing your car yourself does more harm than good! thickness of the automobile`s paint. This test at the University of Texas substantiated tests done over ten years ago by the Technical University of Munich, Germany which at that time showed basically that similar damage was done to an automobile when using home detergents, low water volume commonly found in hose nozzles at home, or buckets of water, sponges and towels used in the average home car washing. Specific scientific tests at the University of Texas further showed that this kind of hand car washing can produce so many marks on a car`s finish that they cannot even be counted. The tests showed that in all hand washing temperatures, the reflectance readings steadily declined, with some hand washing techniques being considerably worse than others. By contrast, when special test panels were washed by professional car washes, there were virtually no changes in the reflectance or shine readings. The tests showed that the average backyard hose is not able to supply enough water along with detergent action to avoid damaging the car`s finish. The most harmful method of washing cars was found to be the special "car wash" brushes that hook on to a garden hose and are purchased from local hardware stores or automotive supply dealers. The use of this type of brush with the low water pressure that comes out of the garden hose is most destructive on the finish of an automobile.

The tests also showed that the techniques used at professional car washes are virtually harmless to automobile finishes. Reports from the University of Texas Professionally applied and safe for your car`s finishindicate that in most cases with adequate use of large amounts of water and specialized chemicals in professional car washes, sophisticated gloss meter readings on new finishes used on automobiles were virtually the same after the equivalent of several months of normal washings in a professional car wash.

The professional car wash is able to provide and use tremendous amounts of water along with appropriate mechanical action from cloth pads or plastic bristled brushes which the backyard hose is not able to supply. This important and interesting study at the University

concluded that today`s modern automobile owner is much wiser to wash his car in a professional car wash rather than in his own backyard."

2KLS1
04-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Ehh...they didn`t mention the glossy new swirls and scratches left by those "cloth pads or plastic bristled brushes" they use, only that they are still shiny.

adjulian
04-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Here is some more information from another Car Wash site regarding this study:

Car Wash Study (http://www.autobell.com/comparison.htm)

I haven`t read it yet, so let`s all pile in and start reading!

qballjr13
04-04-2008, 01:45 PM
plastic bristled brushes

Reading that almost made me cry!

I can`t understand how this article made it on a site for a distributer of ClearKote! :argue

BobD
04-04-2008, 02:20 PM
I contacted the university. We shall see what they say. If the people are using sand paper to wash with I`d rather go through an automatic than have them touch my car. The study should of been a professional car wash and a professional hand wash not a professional car wash and some red neck using a scuff pad.

qballjr13
04-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Great Danase. I can`t wait to hear what they have to say!!!!

BobD
04-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Great Danase. I can`t wait to hear what they have to say!!!!

My first question is going to be is the study even true. Anybody could make a fake study using a school name and post it online. Them I`m going to ask if they want to do the study again using people that don`t ride a short bus.

imported_Denzil
04-04-2008, 04:08 PM
My first question is going to be is the study even true. Anybody could make a fake study using a school name and post it online. Them I`m going to ask if they want to do the study again using people that don`t ride a short bus.

LoL, I`d like to see if this study is really true...

qballjr13
04-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Them I`m going to ask if they want to do the study again using people that don`t ride a short bus.

:funnypost That`s going to be good!

Scottwax
04-04-2008, 10:58 PM
I live near UTA, maybe I can find something out.

Look who sponsered the study though.

detaildoc
04-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Come on! What university is going to waste time researching car washing techniques. Pretty sure this is a fake.

imported_thunder
04-04-2008, 11:40 PM
This is Bulls##t their products are great

YoMike
04-05-2008, 12:41 AM
Come on! What university is going to waste time researching car washing techniques. Pretty sure this is a fake.

more research!!

The Technical University of Munich has carried out an impartial scientific comparison test in association with Mercedes-Benz to establish the exact ranking of hand washing versus machine washing of vehicles relative to damage to paintwork.

To make the test as realistic as possible, typical family sedans were used - with a few hundred miles on the odometer. It was stipulated that each car was to receive the equivalent of one year`s wash stress (about 25 washes) - some cars by hand washing methods, others by automatic carwashing equipment.

To make the test as realistic as possible, and to give both the hand washers and the automatic carwashing equipment something to get clean, five test vehicles were thoroughly coated with a mixture of street dirt, under-fender dirt accumulations, oily water, and thawing-salt residue. This test mixture, inspected under a microscope, contained grit particles measuring between 0.5mm and 1.0mm which are enough to damage the toughest paintwork if not carefully removed.

The Hand Wash

Without having been told the why`s or the wherefore`s, four men were given the chore of washing four of the test cars by hand. Each person was to do as thorough a job as possible. Since there were four people involved, and since each person used their favorite "tools", together they presented a cross-section of various hand washing techniques commonly used by average car owners.

So the marathon carwash began. The four men showed up in four different sections of town enthusiastically sponging and lathering their test cars as if they were their very own. Bystanders could see one man hard at work in a do-it-yourself self-service type of car wash with high-pressure water facilities; another was busy at home with the garden hose and a water spray-brush. One man scrubbed away utilizing a bucket, a sponge, and a garden hose. One, to the horror of the environmentalists, and in defiance of local regulations, washed his test car at a lakeside.

The Automatic Wash

As the alternative to the perspiring hand washers, automatic carwashing equipment was used to wash the fifth test car. To keep the test above board, the test vehicle arrived unannounced during the hours when the car wash was open for business. The car was washed along with other cars.

The Examination

To measure the extent of paintwork damage, microscopes were available. However, pure reflecting microscopy, as well as electron microscopy results merely in a visual picture of scratches. A comparable measure of true depth cannot thus be achieved. Consequently, a method of analysis was used which could determine the exact depth of the scratches and grooves, namely, the interference-microscopic analysis method.

This method allows the glossy surface, with all of its irregularities to appear like a relief map. An interference band is created and corresponds to the contours. Band distances are 0.27 of one thousandth of a millimeter, thereby allowing even the tiniest grooves and scratches on the gloss to be accurately measured and compared.

The Result

The comparison tests produced results of which every car owner should be aware. Automatic car washing and hand washing have completely different effects on car paint.

How does the paintwork of a car appear after 25 washes - equivalent of a year`s worth of washing?

The results are depressing, at least to the car owner who, up to now, has firmly believed in hand washing. The deepest scratches after hand washing had a depth of more than one-tenth of the paint surface. Under the microscope, the paintwork looked like a cratered landscape. The paintwork was deeply scored and scratched - the result of dirt and trapped sand particles.

In hand washing, invariably too little water is used. Even with a garden hose and a sponge technique, small sand particles lodge themselves firmly in the fine pores of the sponge or wash mitt and cannot be removed even by good rinsing. Such particles work on the paint surface like sanding discs. Furthermore, the hand washings produced a tangle of uneven scratches in the paint surface.

By comparison, the surfaces of the test vehicle washed with automatic carwashing equipment appeared different. Compared with the hand washed surfaces, it was remarkably smooth, with many very fine markings virtually parallel and uniform - less than .0003mm - the result of evenly moving and rotating cloth pads and curtains. The machine-washed surfaces were in very good condition after 25 washes.

Wash a car by hand or by machine, in either case, it looks immaculate right after the wash. The sophisticated test described suggests that looks are deceiving: The paintwork on a car washed by automatic carwashing equipment is in much better condition than one washed by hand - even though the car owner lavishes tender, loving care on their vehicle.

Eventually, either by force of habit or because the car finish looks dull, the weekend hand washer resorts to the lengthy and back-breaking chore of applying abrasive rubbing compound or similar pastes and liquids to their vehicle. This process indeed restores the luster to the finish. Such "pampered" cars naturally appear to have just rolled out of the showroom. The proud motorist forgets the long hours with the rubbing compound, and is probably unaware that the reason for all that work (to get the scratches out) was their energetic hand washing procedure on previous weekends.

On the other hand, the motorist who uses the services of a professional car wash with their automatic carwashing equipment subjects the paintwork of their vehicle to the thorough, but gentle action of cloth pads and curtains which treat their paint job with tender, loving care. Knowing that the car finish has to have some protection against the ravages of the chemicals in the air and to also provide a barrier of protection against bird droppings and other contaminants, this car owner will periodically apply a coat of wax to their vehicle. At that moment, their car looks as if it had just rolled out of the showroom.

In comparison, although both cars after washing and other treatment will look pretty much the same, a car is actually treated better (especially concerning the paint finish) by machine washing at a professional car wash and the application of wax than a car washed by hand (with the resulting need for the application of rubbing compounds, etc.). However, in the process, the car owner who utilized the services of a professional car wash has saved a great deal of time, labor, and effort.

SVR
04-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Hand car washing has a couple of problems - not enough lubrication and you are applying a wash mitt or sponge to the paintwork

The mitts loose so much solution by the time you have started applying it to the paint

Plus the time required to wash a car this way

Now I don`t believe that automatic washes (even touchless) are safe but a coin op car wash where you use the hot soap (it`s around 35 C) and then low or high pressure rinse with RO water is far safer in regards to swirl mark creation than washing with a mitt or even alot of them

I have checked my paint with sodium vapour, sunlight and halogen lights after every coin op wash (these use top quality shampoo`s) and cleaner water than most) and have found zero to only super ultra fine straight line marring that after six to twelve months, I fill in and lock in with Glare and Permagard (still testing both side by side)