PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Cleaning - What`s in Folex

Pages : [1] 2

pingable
08-31-2007, 06:26 PM
What`s in Folex that makes it so good ;-)

I`m not a big fan of putting chemicals in like carpet and then not thorougly rinsing them out....but Folex did wonders on areas in my beige interior.

As well, part of my carpet trim is like a velour-tweed type and too much agitation messes up how the grain of the carpet is . I had one slight coffee spill and without a extractor, I just did a pre dwell-wet cloth wipe 2X with Folex and the coffee stain is gone.

I`ve got my eyes on a extractor but won`t settle for a LGCM.....if and when I have the space for a extractor, then will I purchase one.

imported_Jakerooni
08-31-2007, 06:32 PM
Just about any aresol window cleaner will eleminate coffee stains on contacts as well. Coffee is probably one of if not the easiest stain to remove effectively. Never heard of Folex but it sounds like it`s doing a good job for you.

imported_smprince1
08-31-2007, 06:38 PM
Just about any aresol window cleaner will eleminate coffee stains on contacts as well. Coffee is probably one of if not the easiest stain to remove effectively. Never heard of Folex but it sounds like it`s doing a good job for you.

My experience is mixed with coffee .... if the stain is cleaned in a relatively short amount of time it cleans out easily and completely.

But, if the coffee stain has been allowed to remain for a long time it seems to actually die the fabric or yarn and it is impossible to completely remove .

pingable
08-31-2007, 06:41 PM
I hear ya. Actually the stain was there for a week as I did not notice it...

It was sitting in the cupholder, and typical NYC road - bounce bounce made a slight mess in the cupholder-center console . I did not even realize some had spilled down the side of the console onto the carpet.

The carpet was hard and I was afraid it set in too long but lo and behold, it cleaned up relatively clean.

Mobilejay
08-31-2007, 06:59 PM
I don`t know whats in it that makes it so good but that what I use. I don`t have an extractor so I just use elbow grease and Folex and it usually does the job.

imported_hooked
09-01-2007, 08:03 AM
What`s the process to use for Folex? I had a few set in stains from the kid`s juice spills. I sprayed the spots with Folex, let it soak in for a minute or so, scrubbed it with a brush, then soaked it up with a MF Towel. That lightened up the spots, but didn`t remove them.

Am I missing a step? Do I need to repeat multiple times? Or are the stains too far gone (it`s been a couple of years...didn`t notice them because they were under the seat)?

kapinnn
09-01-2007, 08:24 AM
I dont think you are supposed to scrub with Folex. Thought it was just blotting.

Removing Carpet Spots (http://www.folexcompany.com/carpet_stains.html)

imported_hooked
09-01-2007, 08:41 AM
I dont think you are supposed to scrub with Folex. Thought it was just blotting.

Removing Carpet Spots (http://www.folexcompany.com/carpet_stains.html)

Wow. Thanks for the info. I did read the "agitate with fingers" on the bottle, but I thought I would "kick it up a notch" with the brush. I see the reason not to use the brush is to avoid damaging the carpet fibers. And I do blot at the end.

I`ll give it another try using "the right way."

simracer
09-25-2007, 04:46 PM
I don`t know, but whatever it is, the dash on my BMW didn`t like it.

I had an area of a paper towel that I`d used on the carpet and thought I`d just use the other side with my diluted APC for the interior. I think I ended up getting some of the Folex on the dash and the silkscreening or whatever it is on the stalks of my steering wheel (cruise, turn signals) started to smear!

So I`d just make darn sure you only use it on fabric and don`t cross contaminate your towels.

Bunky
09-25-2007, 06:03 PM
What`s in Folex that makes it so good ;-)

I`m not a big fan of putting chemicals in like carpet and then not thorougly rinsing them out....but Folex did wonders on areas in my beige interior.

As well, part of my carpet trim is like a velour-tweed type and too much agitation messes up how the grain of the carpet is . I had one slight coffee spill and without a extractor, I just did a pre dwell-wet cloth wipe 2X with Folex and the coffee stain is gone.

I`ve got my eyes on a extractor but won`t settle for a LGCM.....if and when I have the space for a extractor, then will I purchase one.

MSDS sheet.

CHEMICAL NAME: FOLEX Nonionic

FORMULA: o o o o o o o

CHEMICAL FAMILY: Nonionic Surfactants MOLECULAR WEIGHT: 597, average

TRADE NAME AND SYNONYMS: FOLEX; Instant Carpet Spot Remover

PHYSICAL DATA

APPEARANCE & ODOR: Essentially Pink Liquid; Mild and Odor Free

BOILING POINT: 760mm. Hg. >212° F SOLIDIFICATION TEMP.: 30° F

SPECIFIC GRAVITY: (HC-1) 1.007 @ 20/20°C VAPOR PRESSURE @ 20° C: 1mm.HG

VAPOR DENSITY: (air=1): >1 SOLUBILITY IN WATER: 100% by wt.

PERCENT VOLATILS BY VOLUME: Nil

EVAPORATION RATE: (0.01)

HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS

FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARD DATA

NON FLAMMABLE: No Hazardous Chemicals

HEALTH HAZARD DATA

THRESHOLD LIMIT VALUE: None Established By OSHA

EMERGENCY &

FIRST AID PROCEDURES:

In case of internal consumption drink

four (4) glasses of water in a 30

minute period & seek medical care.

EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE: Nil

REACTIVITY DATA

STABILITY: Stable INCOMPATIBILITY: (Materials to avoid) None

CONDITIONS TO AVOID: None

HAZARDOUS DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS: None

HAZARDOUS POLYMERIZATION: Will Not Occur

SPILL OR LEAK PROCEDURES

STEPS TO BE TAKEN IF MATERIAL IS RELEASED OR SPILLED: Blot With Absorbent Cloth or Mop

WASTE DISPOSAL METHOD: Bio-Degradable

SPECIAL PROTECTION INFORMATION

RESPIRATORY PROTECTION: None PROTECTIVE GLOVES: None

EYE PROTECTION: None OTHER PROTECTIVE EQUIP: None

VENTILATION: None LOCAL EXHAUST: None

MECHANICAL (GENERAL): Acceptable

SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS

None

Cleaning Fool
09-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Butyl is the probobly in Folex. A common chemical used in carpet cleaning. A controversial one as well.

brwill2005
09-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Butyl is the probobly in Folex. A common chemical used in carpet cleaning. A controversial one as well.

No Butyl in Folex, the MSDS is posted above. As for the effectiveness of Folex, the surfactant they use is probably just more effective than most other carpet cleaners out their. While I do not use Folex, I do use a ph neutral cleaner that contains a naturally derived non-ionic surfactant. It is extremely effective, yet very gently because it contains to organic solvents such as Butyl and is ph neutral. I use this product in my carpet extractor and as a general interior cleaner.

red4.8
09-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Used Folex for the first time this weekend and loved it...

NickelPlated.45
09-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Folex is awesome.

Grimm
09-26-2007, 07:21 AM
What`s the process to use for Folex? I had a few set in stains from the kid`s juice spills. I sprayed the spots with Folex, let it soak in for a minute or so, scrubbed it with a brush, then soaked it up with a MF Towel. That lightened up the spots, but didn`t remove them.

Am I missing a step? Do I need to repeat multiple times? Or are the stains too far gone (it`s been a couple of years...didn`t notice them because they were under the seat)?

Give it a few more tries. I had the same experience with what I believe was a soda stain. I had to do it a half dozen times. The stain actually got larger and larger the first few times from the agitating, but I knew it was working because the paper towel was always colored every time.