PDA

View Full Version : Can I move a hard drive from one computer to another?

BobD
08-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Ok, I have a second hard drive on my Dell with all of my documents on it. But, since my Dell is not working right right now can I take that drive to my Compaq and install it? Simple as plug in and go?

Thanks!

TigerMike
08-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Is that drive you want to move an external drive? If so, then you can certainly move it to any computer you mish.

And, yes, you can also move a second internal drive to another computer.

BobD
08-08-2006, 09:23 AM
It is an internal drive. So it should be as simplae and unplugging it from the dell and plugging it into the Compaq and wha-la?

topnotchtouch
08-08-2006, 09:23 AM
From the sounds of your post I am gonna assume you are talking about an internal drive and that your computer has an available bay inside. You should be able to install it in the HP. Since the drive is already likely set up as a slave you shouldn`t need to change any jumber settings. You may need a new hard drive ribbon cable though that will support a second drive. Open up the computer and look at the gray ribbon cable and see if there is another connector on it that isn`t being used.

TigerMike
08-08-2006, 09:26 AM
http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYSecHD.htm

ifoam
08-08-2006, 10:14 AM
yeah, the only thing you have to worry about is the jumper settings

most hd are already set to CS (cable select) but if it`s not, set it as cable select. a label somewhere on the hard drive shoud let you know the settings. you can take out the jumper with tweezers

http://www.hiroinc.com/Harddrive/hd2.jpg

this is the jumper section on the back of the hard drive

marko
08-08-2006, 11:09 PM
the jumper recommendation is absolutely correct. all hd manufacturers have available resources on their web sites, so just look up your particular model to determine the correct jumper placement to set as a slave. the only catch I can think of at the moment is that certain operating systems can`t handle large hard drives, but unless you`re running win95 you should be in good shape.

Five Star
08-08-2006, 11:37 PM
don`t forget, if your running Win Xp home edition, You may need to reactivate windows due to the massive hardware changes.

adept
08-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Are you guys forgetting that It wont work due to windows having set up all the hardware configuration and such? The harddrive will work as a secondary drive but if you are using it as the primary one then it will not run.

BobD
08-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Are you guys forgetting that It wont work due to windows having set up all the hardware configuration and such? The harddrive will work as a secondary drive but if you are using it as the primary one then it will not run.

I am using it as a secondary. And it worked. I am not on a slow Compaq! :(